Tarpon Springs Public Library
- Permanent Link:
- Tarpon Springs Public Library
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ; 28 x 22 cm.
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Public libraries -- -- History -- Florida -- -- Tarpon Springs -- ( lcsh )
- letter ( marcgt )
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- F16-00036 ( USFLDC DOI )
f16.36 ( USFLDC Handle )
This item has the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader ntm 22 Ka 4500
controlfield tag 008 s flunnn| ||||ineng
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a F16-00036
Tarpon Springs Public Library
 p. ;
c 28 x 22 cm.
2 4 610
Tarpon Springs Public Library --
Public libraries --
z Florida --
Tarpon Springs --
t Florida Library History Project
Florida Library History ProjectTarpon Springs Public Library The Tarpon Springs Library has been a vital part of the life of this community since its founding around 1916 by Mrs. George (Julia) Inness, Jr., wife of the well known artist. She was also the daughter of the owner of Century Publishing. From the first location in City Hall the Library went in 1921 to a small house on Orange Street. From there it moved to the Arcade building on Pinellas Avenue and remained there until a building on Library Lane, behind the Greek Church, was completed in 1937. Then in 1964, when the population was about 6,800, a building on beautiful Spring Bayou was constructed. It became a city supported library at that time. The subsequent expansion in 1986 enlarged the building from 3,000 to 9,000 square feet. Additional space was needed less than ten years later due to population growth and the development of the Pinellas Public Library Cooperative. The decision was made to construct a new building of 20,000 square feet in the middle of the downtown area a few blocks from the earlier building in the park. The new building was opened in January, 1997. At the entrance to the building two life size tarpon models spring from a fountain 20' in diameter which is surrounded by a brick walkway. The bricks have been donated and inscribed to commemorate various members of the community. The building reflects the town's Greek and old Florida heritage and features a high vaulted ceiling with clerestory windows. The lobby floor is green Mediterranean marble. The same marble is used on the circulation and reference desks which are faced with copper. A combination of red oak and light oak, as well as custom designed and upholstered furniture, enhances the library. Several outstanding works of art add another special dimension to the building. A six by ten foot reproduction of internationally acclaimed artist Christopher Still's
"Changing Tides" is the focal point. The painting's colors of blue, green and purple are used throughout the building. The Youth Services room is surrounded by six foot high panels of carved glass by artists Karen and Julian Mesa. The design is a playful depiction of underwater marine life and "merchildren." A tall lighthouse, shell shaped chairs and fanciful fish decorations contribute to magical moments in the storytelling area.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.