USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Union County Public Library

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Union County Public Library
Physical Description:
1 p. : ; 28 x 22 cm.
Language:
English

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Public libraries -- -- History -- Florida -- -- Union County --   ( lcsh )
Genre:
letter   ( marcgt )

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
usfldc doi - F16-00058
usfldc handle - f16.58
System ID:
SFS0000166:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader ntm 22 Ka 4500
controlfield tag 008 s flunnn| ||||ineng
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a F16-00058
040
FHM
049
FHmm
1 0 245
Union County Public Library
300
[1] p. ;
c 28 x 22 cm.
2 4 610
Union County Public Library (Fla.) --
x History
650
Public libraries --
z Florida --
Union County --
History
720
Bird, Virginia K.
773
t Florida Library History Project
856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?f16.58



PAGE 1

Florida Library History ProjectUnion County Public Library In 1986, a group of concerned citizens, seeing the need for a public library, started a volunteer-run library with donated books and materials in one room of the local Community Center. Two years later a .5 mill ad valorum tax was passed by the voters of the County to fund a public library. This dedicated source of revenue allowed the County library to hire a professional director and qualify for State Aid to Libraries. A director was hired and charged with renovating a small (1400 sq. ft.) bank building and providing library services. On March 1, 1990 the new library opened to the public. Response from the community was positive. Since then, the library has added an ambitious schedule of children's programming, service to the county jail, and provides outreach services by means of a Mailbox Books programs. In 1996 the library joined the New River Public Library Cooperative and receives support services in the areas of networking, Internet connections, automation, children's programming, and continuing education. A much needed expansion (an additional 1900 sq. ft.) was completed in August 1997. The newly renovated and expanded space has additional room for stacks, seating and a meeting/programming room. The library has seen great growth and community pride In the eight years that it has been open to the public. It is rewarding to see the progress from no library service in the county, to the busy and vital library that we have today. -Prepared January 1998 by Virginia K. Bird Director 1989-1997