|USFDC Home||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader ntm 22 Ka 4500
controlfield tag 008 s flunnn| ||||ineng
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a F16-00060
1 0 245
Safety Harbor Library
 p. ;
c 28 x 22 cm.
2 4 610
Safety Harbor Public Library --
Public libraries --
z Florida --
Safety Harbor --
t Florida Library History Project
Florida Library History ProjectSafety Harbor Library History 1938-1982 A library for the City of Safety Harbor is first mentioned in the minutes of the October 19, 1938 meeting of the Women's Civic Club, an outgrowth of the Civic Association of Safety Harbor, who meet at the Community House which is located at Second Street North. The President of the Women's Civic Club, Mrs. Zinser, appointed Mrs. Kindred as Chairman of a committee to investigate the feasibility of opening a library funded through the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.). Mrs. Zinser contacted Mrs. Sara Pomeroy, an Area Consultant on State-wide Library Services, who announced that Safety Harbor would have a library located in the Community House, free of charge. The Women's Civic Club was responsible for the transportation charges on books, (50 at a time), from Jacksonville and returning them at regular intervals. The Club was also responsible for the maintenance of the building. After due consideration, Mrs. Daisy Cahow was appointed as First Librarian by W. P.A., on November 25, 1938. Although plans were for the Library to be open every day, particular hours had not been established, other than on Saturday from 10 to 11 a.m. for a Children's Hour. There appears to be no record of specific daily hours the Library was opened to the public and can only assume that regular hours were established at this point in time. At the November 25, 1938 meeting, the Librarian, Mrs. Cahow reported that books were on the shelves and that gifts and loans of books would be appreciated. She also stated that in order to keep the Library, there must be good circulation. The need for some Library supplies was brought to the attention of the Women's Civic Club and the purchases were authorized. Mrs. Zinser suggested that a Book Tea benefit be held for the Library and this was scheduled for January 20, 1939. Admission to the Tea, was the donation of a book. Fifty books were donated and $2.35. It was also reported that there were one
hundred books in the Library, not including the State books --which were being borrowed. Plans were then made for a Silver Tea Benefit to be held on February 14, 1939. The speaker, who was not named, presented a book for the Library, titled "The Magic Spear". The next Tea Benefit was on March 30, 1939 and was hosted by Mrs. Flagg, who displayed her foreign doll collection. It was during this time that the first Library Committee was appointed. Mrs. Kindred was now President of the Women's Civic Club and since she was already a supervisor under W.P.A., she assumed the Chairmanship and then appointed Mrs. Bristow and Mrs. D.W. Shower to serve with her on the committee. Mrs. Cahow had proved to be a good Librarian and was complimented not only by the club, but received a high commendation from W.P.A., as being rated as one of the best librarians in this district. The Librarian reported that she now had one hundred and twenty-three books and one hundred thirteen patrons. During this period of time, W.P.A. decided to close the Safety Harbor Library, but kept it open after Mrs. Cahow offered to operate it for seven weeks at three dollars a week. The Library hours were Mondays 1-4:30, Wednesdays 9-12 and Fridays 14:30. Since the book fund had a balance of only sixteen cents and two weeks salary was due the Librarian, a rummage sale was held and brought a profit of twelve dollars. Five dollars were taken out and placed in the book fund. A gift of two hundred books were given to Mrs. Cahow by a friend and another Book Tea brought an additional thirteen books and $6.75. The Librarian's report stated that forty-five books belonging to the club were in circulation and fifty more borrowed books were on the shelves. She also noted that there was a need for more children's books and another box of books were donated by a friend. Five of the newest books were purchased and after they were received, were placed on a rental shelf for three cents a day, with a five-cent minimum. Gifts of books continued to come in until the space available in the Community House, which was allotted to the Library, became so crowded that the Librarian requested to have her desk moved outside the rail (evidently the space for the Library was confined to a railed area). Permission was granted for this move. In
the Librarian's most recent report, $2.16 had been acquired through rentals and the Library Committee was authorized to buy a new book with this money. There was then a need for more shelves and Mr. T.D. Kincaid made them free of charge. At the April 22, 1940 meeting, it was reported that there were 800 books. In October of this year, 418 books were received from Enoch Pratt Library in Baltimore, and 340 from Mr. Coit of Clearwater, bringing the total number to 1500. On December 13, 1940, there was $1.04 in the Library Fund, so the Women's Civic Club planned another Book Tea for the month of January. There seems to be no record of how much was realized from this tea, however, it was noted that most new books were purchased through Mr. Barron's Drug Store at a discount price. The question of whether W.P.A. would continue to support the Library arose once again. Mrs. Kindred and her Library Committee held a meeting to make plans for keeping the Library open after W.P.A. funds were no longer received. In the meantime, the Librarian reported that the Library had again been approved and she would receive her work card soon. No funds had been received from W.P.A. since April 28, 1941, so by October 10th, the Library Fund had been expended. At three consecutive meetings, it had been reported that there was no money in the Library Fund, however, the Library had been kept open through the summer, except during the time the Librarian was on vacation. At the October 24, 1941 meeting, the Librarian reported she had received her work card and that affairs would continue as a W.P.A. project. Although the State Supervisor gave approval to the Library, it was suggested that a change in the hours to 6 hours a day, five days a week and closed on the weekend. Hours being set at 10:30 to 5:00 each day. Through a Street Carnival, the Library Fund grew as half of the proceeds, which came to $35.25 were added to it. On March 16, 1942, a special meeting was called to consider the affairs of the Library. All the libraries, funded by W.P.A. in the State of Florida, were being closed on the second of March, 1942 and the funds would no longer be available. After a lengthy discussion at a meeting of the Executive Board, it was agreed to retain Mrs. Cahow as the Librarian at a salary of $5.00 per week. The Library hours were set to be open from 1-5, Tuesday through Friday. When asking for members to help out in the Library, Mrs. Barron, Bakeman, Washington and Sward volunteered their time and started working on March 9, 1942. A notice was
put in the Herald, stating that. it would be necessary to start charging for Library services. Adults were asked if they would be willing to contribute $1.00 annually. The school children were not charged. On April 24, 1942, the Library Fund had $3.00 in it and the Library Subscription Fund had $6.50. By May 15th, there was no money in the original fund, but $21.50 in the Subscription Fund, which was probably from the $1.00 fees. There is a lapse in the records from March, 1942 to January 18, 1943. In January, 1943, a joint meeting of the Executive Board and the Library Committee was held at the Community House. The objective of the meeting was to discuss finding another Librarian, since Mrs. Cahow had taken another position elsewhere. This was a problem, as the Club could not pay the salary paid by W.P. A. It was then decided to open the Library on Saturday afternoons only, from 3-5 and Mrs. Cahow agreed to stay for $1.00 per week until other arrangements could be made. The records of the February 26, 1943 meeting show that there was an applicant for the Librarian position, but due to lack of attendance by the members at the meetings, no action was taken on this application. The applicant, Deloris Shepherd, may or may not have been hired, the record is unclear, however, someone was hired and worked until the month of April. In April, Carolyn Simms was hired to work as the Librarian for that month only. On May 1, 1943, Mrs. Blanche Weagraff was hired as the Librarian for the month of May. The Library was to be closed during the summer, but due to the demand, the Board consented and Mrs. Weagraff agreed to volunteer her time, without pay for one afternoon each week. This was done each summer for the following six years. In the minutes of the annual meeting of May 14, 1943, it was reported that a book had been lost from the Library. The previous Librarian had done all she could do to recover it, without any success. The new Librarian was asked to find this book and in spite of her efforts, the book was not returned until three years later, when it was discovered in the
Desoto Hotel kitchen. In September, 1943, a decision was made to keep the Library open on Tuesdays and Thursdays and to pay the Librarian $1.75 each week. At the October 8th meeting, the plans changed again. The Library was to remain open five days each week, and the Librarian's salary was to stay at 87 1/2 cents each day. The Club paid for half of the Librarians salary. During this month, Mrs. Zeliff was appointed as the Assistant Librarian. The Librarian's report on February 11, 1944 stated that the Library had been open for eight days with 23 patrons and 145 books circulated. An additional 35 books had been acquired between October 26, 1943 and February 11, 1944. Mrs. Shepherd was appointed as Substitute Librarian when Mrs. Weagraf was hospitalized with rheumatic fever After the annual meeting on April 21st, the club recessed for the summer. The meetings resumed on October 27, 1944. At this first meeting, Mrs. Sward asked the Club if they would grant an increase in pay to the Librarian from 87 1/2 cents per day to $1.00 for each day the Library was open. The increase was approved. In December, 1944, a revolving plan was arranged with the Clearwater Library, whereby books could be borrowed from them. This continued until the 25th Club Anniversary in 1956. In February, 1945, the Librarian reported that there were an additional 31 books, 18 new Library cards had been issued and that 420 books were circulated between January 2nd and February 8, 1945. The number of patrons had now grown to 54, both adult and juvenile. At the annual meeting this year, it was reported that the Library was quite active and that Mrs. Fleming would act as Librarian through the month of May to relieve Mrs. Weagroff for her vacation. However, the Library was closed for the month of June, but opened again on the first Tuesday in July. At this time, book rental was changed from three cents per day to ten cents a week. During November, 1945, fifty books were received from Mr. George Carr and another 140 from Mr. Coit. The Librarian reported that more new shelves were needed and was authorized to purchase them. At the December 4, 1945 meeting, it was noted that the, shelves were installed,
having been made by the Librarian and Mr. William Burke. At the last meeting in 1945, which was a Book Tea, the Librarian was surprised with a birthday party. She was presented with a purse of money to buy a pop-up toaster, (some little bird had told the Club that this was what she wanted), but due to the war and shortages of such items, it could not be purchased at this time. After the winter vacationers left that spring, it was decided to open the Library for one day each week on Tuesday from 9-11. On January 11, 1946, Miss Hoagland, Chairman of the Library Committee, reported that two new books had been ordered and that there was $10.38 in the Library Fund. 243 books had been circulated this month and four new Library cards had been issued. When the Librarian made her report on November 8, 1946, she said that from May 7th to date, the Library had been open for 82 hours, 51 patrons had checked out a total of 791 books. There were now 2463 books in the Library and 23 adult and 12 juvenile cards had been issued; and $17.66 had been taken in for rentals and overdue charges. Mrs. Weagraff had also made and installed a new book case. Miss Hoagland reported the purchase of eleven adult and five juvenile books at a total cost of $24.22. It was becoming quite evident that a larger Library was needed and discussions on how to accomplish this were ongoing. Miss Hoagland's next report stated that between November 19 and December 10, 1946, that thirteen books of fiction, five of non-fiction and three juvenile books were bought at a cost of $32.25. These books with 82 loaned books and three gift books made a total of 113 books received since her last report. It was about this time that Dr. Salem Baranoff, a very civic-minded man, came to Safety Harbor. After learning of the need for a larger library and of the Civic Club, who had sponsored the Library since 1938, he told them that he would buy and donate the land for a new building. The Women's Civic Club gratefully accepted his offer. Dr. Baranoff purchased the two lots on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Second Street North and presented them to the Club. His generosity did not stop here, for he continued to give monetary contributions and through his influence, the guests at the spa, which he owned and operated at the time and also gave generously to the new Library project.
Early in 1947, Mr. Aultshuler was employed as architect. The members of the Club Building Committee were to meet with him to prepare plans and specifications for the building. Ground breaking ceremonies did not take place until two years later on March 4, 1949. Ceremonies were as follows: Mrs. George Sward, President of the Club, introduced the Rev. Nysewander, pastor of the Methodist Church, who gave the Invocation. Mayor Dr. J.P. Melser spoke briefly, praising the Club for the work it had done to secure money to build the new Library, stating that this would be a big asset to the city. Dr. Baranoff was the main speaker. He spoke of the Civic Projects that had already been completed in the city and said that Safety Harbor is the City of Miracles where so much had been done by such a small population and rated the 'City as outstanding in the county and state. He praised the Civic Club for their decision to build a new library, which would be an aid in furthering higher education, wisdom and brotherly love. In closing, he gave Mrs. Sward $50.00 to further the project and turned the first shovel full of dirt. Following the ceremony, many other monetary contributions were made; one by Professor Van Buren of the University-of Brussels, Belgium, who was visiting here. For the two previous years, the Women of the Club had been raising money for this project with concerts, bazaars, card parties and soliciting contributions and holding dances. The building, which is of concrete block construction, with the interior finished with cypress paneling, was started the Monday following the dedication ceremonies. Rooms consisted of one large room, two small rooms, restrooms and a storage room. It was ready for occupancy in July of the same year. Moving costs totaled $1.25, as Mr. Seidel loaned his truck to move the books and Mr. Dunham loaned his truck to move the furniture and cases. Packing of books were done by the Librarian, who was helped by children who owed money on past-due books. Circulation of books from the new Library started on October 1, 1949. Dedication ceremonies were held on November 18, 1949, with Mrs. Sward, President, introducing the speakers who referred to this as a "Red Letter Day" and this dedication as "A Dream Come True." The speakers were as follows: Rev. B. D. Nysewander, Mayor Melser, Miss Sara Byers, the Clearwater Librarian, Mrs. Cherkasess of Gulfport who was President of the County Federation of Women's Clubs, Mrs. Weagraff, the Safety Harbor Librarian, Dr. Salem Baranoff, Mrs. Hilda Glaser of the St. Petersburg Library who was representing Stanley L. Weat,
the President of the Florida Library Association and Gary Linton Principal of the local school. Bess Hoagland had made arrangements for the program, flower arrangements were made by George Carr. Mrs. Sward stated that only through the splendid cooperation of the citizens of Safety Harbor, had the completion of the project been possible. When the Library moved into the new building in July, it was free of debt, however, some rooms were not finished and lights had not been installed. Once again, guests of the Spa through contributions at a musical the Club held at the Hotel, raised enough to purchase the fluorescent lights that are in the Library today. It should be reported however, this a bit belatedly, that the first money raising project was through the efforts of Mrs. Weagraff and Geraldine McKowen, who planned and presented "Breakfast in Hollywood." This was held at the Methodist Church Annex. There is no mention of the amount this program earned. The Library grew from the time of it's dedication. Reports showed a continual increase in circulation, the number of books obtained and the number of library cards issued. The Librarian's salary increased finally to $60.00 a month and the hours were established to fifteen per week, Monday through Thursday and Saturdays from 2-5 P.M. and during the summer months of June, July and August, the Library would be open three days a week, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Mrs. Weagraff was a very dedicated Librarian, who established the system and order that prevailed for many years. She continued in her office until 1956. This year marked the 25th Anniversary of the Club. In a brief postscript from a History of the Library written by her and from which much of the forgoing information was gathered, she says, In the 13 years I have served as librarian, it has been a labor of love for me, because everyone has been most kind and considerate and I thoroughly enjoy the work very much." Her successor was Mrs. Ruth Raymund. In writing about Mrs. Raymund, Mrs. Weagraff in a piece recognizing April 3-9, 1960 as National Library Week she says: Mrs. Raymund-Librarian since 1957-by Blance Weagraff-[This was probably written as publicity for the newspaper] "Libraries everywhere will be celebrating National Library Week, April 3-9, 1960 and our library will be celebrating with them. Libraries have a lot of things, buildings, books, maps, games, some have puzzles to amuse old and young alike, but most important are the librarians who keep the whole organization running smoothly. Let me tell you
a little about the lady who runs our library so efficiently, Mrs. Ruth Raymund. She lives at 215 Third Avenue North with her husband, Bernard Raymund. She was born in Hinsdale, New Hampshire and attended the local schools, also Pottsdam State Normal School, Albany State College for Teachers, later going to Ohio State University, where she received her M.A. Degree in English. She taught English in a private school in Alabama and several High Schools in New York State and was a librarian in Henderson, New York for three years. Dr. and Mrs. Raymund moved to Safety Harbor in 1948 after coming here winters for several years. She was assistant librarian from 1950 till her appointment to her present position in 1957. Her hobbies are writing, poetry, water color painting, making posters for all Civic Club activities and keeping the club house and library decorated with beautiful flower arrangements. She is never too busy to stop and help someone find a book to read or look up material for a high school student to write an essay or a book report. You will find her at the Library early and late cataloging and arranging books. If you have not met our gracious helpful Librarian, come to Open House at the Library April 7th from 7-9 and meet her." Mrs. Raymund remained Librarian for about five years. She was succeeded by Mrs. Mary Lehman. Mrs. Lehman was a good Librarian. If anyone requested a book on any subject and the Library owned a copy of it, she knew exactly where to put her hands on it. She lived diagonally across Fifth Avenue, from the Library and spent extra hours there cleaning, arranging books and doing such chores as were necessary, but-that could not be done during regular hours. Regular hours were still from 2-5, five days a week, the Library being closed on Friday. Salary had reached $60.00 per month. Mrs. Lehman remained as Librarian until December, 1968 when Mrs. Chrissie Elmore replaced her. Mrs. Elmore is a graduate of the University of North Carolina, Greensboro Campus. She has a B.A. degree and has been a former school teacher. Other than her work in the Library, she is interested in painting and weaving. Samples of her work are in evidence at the Library. In the past two years, she has had an assistant (paid), first Rita Gartland and currently Harriet Seidel.
Down through the years, library business has been carried on by a Library Committee appointed by The Club president. After the Library was well established, The Civic Association decided to build its own clubhouse. It was at this time the name was changed to The Woman's Civic Club of Safety Harbor, Inc. In order to sell bonds to finance the clubhouse building, it was necessary to be incorporated by the State. So, herein after reference to the club will mean The Woman's Civic Club. Committee Chairmen of the Library Committee have been: Miss Hoagland, Mrs. Weagraff, Mrs. Harry Kline, Mrs. John J. Parker, and Mrs. Robert Johnston. Expenses have been met in various ways through the usual fines, dues and rentals generated by the Library, half the proceeds from an annual bazaar, which was held for many years, card parties, luncheons, public dinners, catering receptions, rummage sales and a portion of each members club dues. The Library has been supplied with flags by the Veterans Organizations. The first by The Veterans Club. The following is a quote from a newspaper item. "LIBRARY RECEIVES FLAG: Safety Harbor Veterans Club members presented a new flag to the community's library. School children, some of whom are shown at the left were present for the ceremony on the Library lawn. Boys from school will raise and lower the flag each morning and afternoon. Rev. Charles M. Carlton, National Chaplin of American Veterans, Gary Linton the principal of the local school, John McKeown, the Commander of the Safety Harbor Veterans Club and John F. Kenny, all of Safety Harbor were present." (no date) The American Legion has kept the Library supplied with flags many years as they were needed. Members of The Women's Club held Memorial Day Services annually under the trees, near the Library and in later years, this became a joint effort of The Club and The American Legion. However, in the past four or five years, these services have been discontinued. From time to time, the City has contributed to the support of the Library. Sometimes as little as $100.00 and for a few years preceding 1978, the sum of $600.00 a year. Dr. Baranoff and other public-spirited citizens have contributed and a number of bequests left in wills for support of the Library, notably by Hattie Symonds-Dodge and Madaline Griggs. By 1977-78, the Club came to the realization that it could no longer adequately finance a public library. The City has grown substantially from 2,500 people to well over 5,000. The Halton Trust Fund is used at the discretion of the Women's Civic Club.
Mrs. John J. Parker was elected President of the Women's Civic Club, to serve from May 1, 1976 through April 30, 1978. Under her leadership, a decision was made by the W.C.C. membership to look into the feasibility of a City take-over of the Library. She presented the Clubs problem and its desire to have the City assume full responsibility for providing library service for the citizens of Safety Harbor at a Commission Meeting or in lieu of this, provide adequate funds for the W.C.C. to continue to do so. The Club voted to turn down the City's initial offer of $3,000.00. The City Attorney had stated that the City could not provide any money for the Library unless the Library property was deeded over to the City. Though there was a reverter clause in the agreement submitted, that if the City did not provide funds at the beginning of its next fiscal year, the property would revert back to the Women's Civic Club. There was no assurance that in October, the City would, in fact, provide adequate funds for the operation of the Library. If this was the case, the W.C.C. would be right back where it started, without funds to operate and maintain the establishment. All information regarding negotiations between the City and the W.C.C. are contained in the accompanying papers. it was after Mrs. Wilkey became President of the Club on May 1, 1978, that a final agreement with the City was more or less reached. However, between her election to office and the opening of the W.C.C. in October, she died. At this time, Mrs. Parker was Chairman of the Library Committee and since she had done all the preliminary work toward City ownership of the Library, and subsequently was elected Treasurer of the Club, she agreed to take over the socalled administrative work and keep the books for the Library. Laura Johnston then became Chairman of the Library Committee. The final outcome of the above-mentioned negotiations and an affirmative vote by the W.C.C. to deed the property over to the City, resulted in a leasing back of the property to the Club and the City budgeting $8,000.00 for the Library for fiscal 1978-79. This renewable from year to year. $8,000.00 was again budgeted for 1979-80. During this year, the W.C.C. came to a decision that it could no longer assume the responsibility of operating the Public Library. There were several contributing factors leading to this decision. Mrs. Parker did not want to continue as Administrator and Treasurer after October 1,
1980 and apparently another member wanted this responsibility. Since funding by the City, Library Committee Members did not want to do volunteer work as had been customary in the past and after so many hears since 1938, the Club felt that it was time for the City to assume full responsibility for a Public Library. The Library budget is as follows: Fiscal Year 1981-82 was $300.00/Month Fiscal Year 1982-83 was $416.66/Month Fiscal Year 1983-84 was $446.66/Month We subscribe to Literary Guild, Young Adult Literary Guild and six reading levels of Juvenile Literary Guild, Starlight Romances, Mystery Club and Westerns. These are payable upon subscription by the year. We also have plans for Adults, Young Adults and Juveniles payable upon receiving invoice. We get a 40% discount and free care kits. We also get a selection from Literary Guild Members Edition, which are already discounted. The rest of the budget may be selected by choice. We take advantage of sales from various book sellers, especially children's books. We accept donations of both hard cover books and paperbacks. We have our books classified according to the Dewey Decimal System. We shelve Fiction according to authors, and Non-fiction according to Dewey classification. We have card-filed according to author, title and subject matter according to the Library of Congress for small libraries. We have plastic jacket covers on most of our books. There have been many improvements since the City assumed ownership. Air conditioning and heat, a new roof, new florescent lights were a few additions. A dividing wall in the rear of the building was removed, making it possible for school children and younger children to have the back room and the *adults, the front room. We now have carpet on the floor too. We have accomplished much by using volunteers for work here in the Library. The circulation for 1982-83 was 18,858. POSTSCRIPT TO THE HISTORY OF THE LIBRARY
The foregoing history of the Safety Harbor Library makes one realize what a monumental project this was for a comparatively small group of women to undertake. It can only be hoped that the City and its citizens appreciate the fact that not only did they see the need for a Library and determined to have one, but after building their own on land donated by Dr. Salem Baranoff, continued to operate and maintain it until such time, hopefully, October 1, 1980, the City assumes full responsibility for providing library service for the citizens of Safety Harbor. Taking into consideration that the Women's Civic Club has given the Library and its complete contents to the City, it has acquired a good building in a well-situated area and with potential for expansion when deemed necessary at no cost to taxpayers. Personal feelings are that at this time, library service is adequate. There are approximately 15,000 books in all categories. The main room is divided into sections for juveniles ages 4-12, young people ages 12-16 and adults. There is also a section for reference material and another for literature, plus a reading area where periodicals and paper back books are kept. Since funding by the City in the amount of $8,000 a year for two years from October, 1978 through September, 1980, many capital improvements have been made, namely a heating and cooling system, insulation, work bench area, office for Administrator and Treasurer, some new shelving, janitor service has been provided and the Librarian and her assistant receive a minimum wage. A nominal fee of $1.00 per family for residents of the City and $3.00 for those patrons residing outside of the city has been in effect for some time. Safety Harbor is a small city and due to its limited area, will probably never be a large metropolis. So, with room for building expansion when a larger library with more sophisticated services are required, there should be no problem in making necessary changes as needed. It is my sincere hope that the transition from sponsorship by the Womens Civic Club to the City will go smoothly and that the Library will continue to grow and improve as time goes on.
In Memorium Blanche L. Weagraff No doubt, most of you know that Blanche Weagraff died March 18, 1982 and funeral services were held for her at the First United Methodist Church on March 22nd. Blanche was the last remaining Charter Member of the Women's Civic Club of Safety Harbor and was made an honorary member in 1976. She was selected as the second full-time Librarian in 1943 and remained serving in this capacity until 1956. She was truly dedicated to her work and set up the system by which the Library functioned and which remained in use as long as the Women's Club sponsored the Public Library. When library funds had been exhausted and there was no money to pay the meager salary for which she worked, she just kept it open anyway. At the end of her history of the Library-covering years from 1938 through 1956, she describes her thirteen years of devotion to the Library as "a labor of love." One feels that this was true of most of her activities in her church work down through the years, in her participation in Women's Civic Club activities and in her always having time to extend a helping hand whenever and wherever needed. For the past several years, she had been somewhat incapacitated, however, she continued to do what she could for her church and spent many, many hours making children's clothing for the missionary bundles. Always cheerful and with a good sense of humor, she was a truly fine person whose memory will live on. Silent prayer L. Parker