USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Pinellas Park Public Library

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Pinellas Park Public Library
Physical Description:
1 p. : ; 28 x 22 cm.
Language:
English

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Public libraries -- -- History -- Florida -- -- Pinellas Park --   ( lcsh )
Genre:
letter   ( marcgt )

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
usfldc doi - F16-00061
usfldc handle - f16.61
System ID:
SFS0000169:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader ntm 22 Ka 4500
controlfield tag 008 s flunnn| ||||ineng
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a F16-00061
040
FHM
049
FHmm
1 0 245
Pinellas Park Public Library
300
[1] p. ;
c 28 x 22 cm.
2 4 610
Pinellas Park Public Library --
x History
650
Public libraries --
z Florida --
Pinellas Park --
History
773
t Florida Library History Project
856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?f16.61



PAGE 1

Florida Library History ProjectPinellas Park Public Library The City of Pinellas Park was incorporated in 1915. A local volunteer organization known as the Sunshine Society provided city residents with their first library service in the 1920s. After nearly twenty years, there was a short period during WWII when the community was without a library before it was again organized in 1948, by volunteers who organized themselves into the Pinellas Park Public Library Association. The library first was housed in an old pump house owned by the City Water Department. For a brief time after that it was located in a room of the former City Hall, before being moved to a building on Park Boulevard which is now the home of the Pinellas Park Arts Society. In 1959, the library became an official department of the City of Pinellas Park. With the help of a Federal Grant, a brand new facility was built in the present location in 1969. In 1984, the structure was enlarged to create the current library building. A meeting room was added later that same year. Since 1984, the library has continued to grow, albeit within the confines of the same building. As library use has increased, the staff and collection have grown, new media and technologies have been made available and services have been expanded to meet demand. In its present structure, the library houses more than 90,000 books, videos and audio tapes, plus nearly 300 magazine titles, a dozen newspapers and other material. The library now has more than 25,000 registered borrowers.. Each day, more than 800 people visit the library, checking out nearly 1,000 items, and asking more than 200 reference questions of the library's professional staff. In the same average day, the staff fields another 100 questions coming in by phone.