USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Cooper Memorial Library, part of the Lake County Library System

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Cooper Memorial Library, part of the Lake County Library System
Physical Description:
1 p. : ; 28 x 22 cm.
Language:
English

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Public libraries -- -- History -- Florida -- -- Clermont --   ( lcsh )
Genre:
letter   ( marcgt )

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
usfldc doi - F16-00069
usfldc handle - f16.69
System ID:
SFS0000177:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader ntm 22 Ka 4500
controlfield tag 008 s flunnn| ||||ineng
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a F16-00069
040
FHM
049
FHmm
1 0 245
Cooper Memorial Library, part of the Lake County Library System.
300
[1] p. ;
c 28 x 22 cm.
2 4 610
Cooper Memorial Library (Clermont, Fla.) --
x History
Lake County Library System (Fla.) --
History
650
Public libraries --
z Florida --
Clermont --
History
773
t Florida Library History Project
856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?f16.69



PAGE 1

Florida Library History ProjectCooper Memorial Library, part of the Lake County Library System. Cooper Memorial Library is a good example of grassroots determination resulting in a happy partnership between a City and an Association. The library was born in 1914 when Alice Cooper gave several lots to the city for the building of a library at 630 DeSoto Street in Clermont. The money was raised, and the one room library was built, and named after Alice. A small collection of circulating books that had been kept in various homes and churches became the first items in the new library. The Clermont Woman's Club supplied the volunteers that became the first librarians and the monetary support. In the 1950's, an appeal was made to the City of Clermont to take over the financial support of the library and maintenance of the building. Cooper Memorial Library Association, Incorporated was formed and a contractual agreement was created stating that the City would support a public library, and the Association would provide the administration of the library. After additions to the building in 1958 and 1974, the city purchased a former bank building in 1980 and the library was moved. The books were passed hand-by-hand via a "people chain" across empty lots to the new location. A new children's room was added in 1984.In 1995 two legacies financed the addition of 4000 square feet for a new children's department and Florida room. No tax monies were used. Cooper Memorial Library became a charter member of the Lake County Library System in 1982, and is the only continuous member of that system. The fifteen member Board of Cooper Memorial Library Association, Incorporated, continues to administer this public library with support from the City of Clermont, Lake County, and generous donations and legacies from area citizens. COOPER MEMORIAL LIBRARY 620 Montrose St. Clermont, FL 34711 352-394-4265