Charlotte-Glades Library System
- Permanent Link:
- Charlotte-Glades Library System
- Physical Description:
-  p. : ; 28 x 22 cm.
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Public libraries -- -- History -- Florida -- -- Charlotte County -- ( lcsh )
- letter ( marcgt )
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- F16-00077 ( USFLDC DOI )
f16.77 ( USFLDC Handle )
This item has the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader ntm 22 Ka 4500
controlfield tag 008 s flunnn| ||||ineng
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a F16-00077
1 0 245
Charlotte-Glades Library System
 p. ;
c 28 x 22 cm.
2 4 610
Charlotte-Glades Library System --
Public libraries --
z Florida --
Charlotte County --
t Florida Library History Project
Florida Library History ProjectCharlotte-Glades Library System 1905 -The first library was housed in the Episcopal Church in Punta Gorda. 1914 -The Library moved to the Masonic Temple on Sullivan Street. 1926 -The roof blew off the library during a sever storm, necessitating another move. The library relocated at the Woman's Club, also on Sullivan Street. 1958 -The town of Punta Gorda decided that it wanted to have an actual library building. Several craftsmen and contractors donated a building at 260 West Retta Esplanade. The land was also donated. 1963 -The Punta Gorda Public Library joined the Port Charlotte and Englewood Libraries to form a county library system. 1970 -Jean Obermayer became librarian and remained so until her retirement in 1981. 1973 -Funds were raised for a new and larger building to house the library. The city donated the land in exchange for the old library facility. 1974 -The new building at 424 West Henry Street opened to the public in July. 1983 -Mary Ann Walton became head librarian and has since retired. Jay Carter now holds that position. 1996 -The, library, along with other libraries in the countywide system, went online with a new mated circulation system. 1998 -Plans have begun to expand the library and the first phase will be
completed by September 1998. Port Charlotte Public Library 1961 A small store-front library was started on Easy Street as part of the newly established Port Charlotte University's operations. A retired librarian, Hortense Wright, volunteered to organize the library. Local citizens donated books and magazines. 1962 PCU moved its base of operations to a building at fire station on the west access road by Easy Street. This added space to the library as well. 1963 The Port Charlotte Library joined the Punta Gorda and Englewood Public Libraries to form a Charlotte County System. 1965 -PCU and the library again moved...this time across the street to Sunny. Dell Plaza. At this time the county named a library board to supervise operations. Mrs. Margaret Rippere was appointed librarian. A Friends of the Port Charlotte organization was formed to promote the library and its services. Myrtle Burnett became its first president. 1968 A new library facility, located on the corner of' Gertrude and Aaron Streets opened in January. A small room adjacent to the library and the PCU classrooms was set aside for a used book and coffee shop run by the Friends organization. Mr. and Mrs. William Payne were the first managers of the shop. 1996 The library was renovated with new carpeting on both floors and the rearrangement of book stacks and other furnishings occurred. The library also went online with a new automated circulation system. with the other libraries in the county-wide system. Steve Toepper was named librarian for the facility. Englewood Charlotte Public Library Early 1960s Josephine Cortes headed a grass-roots effort to start library services in the Charlotte County area of Englewood. These efforts bore fruit on May 25, 1962 when a new library first opened. The first person to run the library was Harriet Ives.
1963 Leolyn Mercer was appointed librarian. The library housed a collection of 3,869 books. Also in this year, the library moved to a new location at 1560 McCall Road. 1970 -A new facility, located at 1520 Placida Road, opened to the public. 1971 -The first full-time librarian, Elizabeth Childs, was hired. Mrs. Mercer retired at that time. 1989 -An entirely new 8,000 square foot library building was opened to the public. The new facility was located at 3450 McCall Road and this is still the location today. 1996 -The Englewood Charlotte Library, along with other libraries in the library system, went online with a new automated circulation system. Murdock Public Library 1985 -The new Murdock Public Library and accompanying library system administrative/technical processing facility: opened at 18400 Murdock Circle. The library opened its doors with a smal1 core collection of 200 books. Mary Ellen Fuller, the Director of the Library System acted as Head Librarian for the Murdock branch. The Library became part of the county-wide system. 1995 --Approximately 9,000 square feet was added to the library, including a public-use meeting room and a children's department. The expanded facility was opened to the public on January 4, 1995. Nancy Razvoza was appointed the first librarian of the Murdock Public Library. 1996 -The Murdock Library, along with the Englewood Charlotte, Port Charlotte, and Punta Gorda Public Libraries, went online with a new automated circulation system. Note: The Glades Public Library is also a part of this system, but its history is not available.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.