USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Church, pre-fabbed in N.Y., brought to Florida by schooner

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Church, pre-fabbed in N.Y., brought to Florida by schooner
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Anglican church buildings -- History -- Florida -- Apalachicola   ( lcsh )
History -- Apalachicola (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
non-fiction   ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Photouring Florida column that explores the history of Trinity Episcopal Church on Gorrie Square in Apalachicola, Florida.
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 1, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 002220473
oclc - 645463345
usfldc doi - D33-0009
usfldc handle - d33.9
System ID:
SFS0000390:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

b01 CHURCH, PRE FABBED IN N.Y., BROUGHT TO FLORIDA BY SCHOONER By: HAMPTON DUNN APALACHICOLA --Old Trinity Episcopal Church on Gorrie Square here, one of Florida's oldest, is the first prefabricated church in America. Begun in 1835 and completed two years later, the edifice was cut to measure in New York and the sections were brought here by schooner. Much of the structure, which is architecturally charming, was put together by wooden pegs. The church has two Ionic columns framing the narrow front door, tall windows with gre en shutters, and a square belfry topped with a metal cross. During the Civil War, the church's original bell was melted down to make cannon. And the carpets and cushions were donated to Confederate soldiers, presumably to keep them warm "way up" in Virgin ia and Tennessee. Apalachicola was a gay, seaport city in the 1830's when it was the shipping point of the South's cotton crop. Gambling, race tracks and saloons flourished. A city councilman, Dr. John Gorrie, later world famous for inventing artificial refrigeration, was disturbed because the socially active community lacked churches. He was one of the moving spirits in obtaining land from the Forbes Company for churches and led in organizing the Episcopaleans, with a Rev. Fitch Taylor, in 1835, as lead er. In 1837, a Mr. George Field, who had held services regularly for persons of all denomi nations who desired to worship together, obtained from the Legislature a charge: his church, now known as Trinity Church, and among the incorporators was Dr. Gorrie, who also was a vestryman. In front of the church is Gorrie Square and the grave of the famed doctor is there. Trinity is said to be the third oldest Episcopal church in the state.

PAGE 2

b01


xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002220473
005 20100701110550.0
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100701s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0009
035
(OCoLC)645463345
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
Church, pre-fabbed in N.Y., brought to Florida by schooner
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
b ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 1, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Photouring Florida column that explores the history of Trinity Episcopal Church on Gorrie Square in Apalachicola, Florida.
2 610
Trinity Episcopal Church (Apalachicola, Fla.)
x History.
650
Anglican church buildings
z Florida
Apalachicola
History.
651
Apalachicola (Fla.)
History.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.9