|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002220700
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100708s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0011
All land surveys in Florida begin at this point
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 8, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the monument that marks the guide meridian and base parallel for Florida, the starting point for Florida land surveys.
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
b05 ALL LAND SURVEYS IN FLORIDA BEGIN AT THIS POINT TALLAHASSEE --At an obscure spot near the city jail here is a concrete monu ment that marks the beginning of all land surveys in Florida. It is the intersection of the guide meridian and the base parallel for the state. The site dates back to the territorial days of Florida when Tallahassee was first selected as the capital city. It was while William P. Duval was Territorial Governor that he received a notice from the Government Land Office in Washington a nnouncing the appointment of Col. Robert A. Butler of Tennessee to be surveyor general of Florida. The communication was dated July 10, 1824. Colonel Butler was directed to select a point of beginning for all surveys, and from this the townships and range s were to be numbered. Selection of the survey point really revolved around the location of the Capitol building since it was desired to locate the seat of government in the center of the quarter section. The monument, hence, is situated in a low, wet area about 1,500 feet south and east of the Capitol. The Colonel drove down a lightwood post to mark the key spot. Many years passed and in 1853, the State Legislature voted to require the Governor to place a stone with a suitable inscription at the spot. Gov ernor Broome ignored the legislative order and it was not until 1892 that a permanent type marker was placed. The present stone monument was authorized by the 1925 Legislature. A capital observer, Angus Laird, has reported there is some dispute whether th e stone marker is at the exact spot where the original lightwood post was sunk, but no legal significance is attached to the discrepancy if indeed there is a difference.