|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002220663
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100707s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0026
State arsenal site has ancient background
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 7, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the St. Francis Barracks in St. Augustine.
Saint Francis Barracks (Saint Augustine, Fla.)
Saint Augustine (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
STATE ARSENAL SITE HAS ANCIENT BACKGROUND By HAMPTON DUNN ST. AUGUSTINE --Brass of Florida's National Guard plan military activity from executive offices in St. Francis Barracks here, a site steeped in history in this Ancient City. In 1577, Franciscan monks constructed a crude church, monastary and convent at this spot. This became the fountainhead of the far-flung mission sy stem established by the Franciscans in the Southeast during the centuries following. Some of the friars' cells still exist. When the British occupied St. Augustine, they t ook over the chapel of th e convent and converted it into barracks for their soldiers. Th is occurred in the period, 1763 to 1783. Fire swept the area in the 1790s, but remnants of the old cells were used as a jail during Florida's territorial days. The U.S. Army erected its ar senal here in 1820 and it was a busy place during the Civil War. The structure served well un til 1915 when fire gutted the building. It was immediately restored and looks toda y much as the or iginal building. St. Francis Barracks, located at 108 Marine St near St. Augustine's famed "oldest house", is a two-column yellow stucco building with a shallow balconied court topped with a flat ballustrade. -c14