|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200349Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221040
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100714s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0030
Monticello has oldest brick building in state
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 14, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Jefferson County High School building in Monticello and its history as a the Jefferson Academy during the antebellum era.
Jefferson County High School (Monticello, Fla.)
Jefferson Academy (Monticello, Fla.)
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-d01MONTICELLO HAS OLDEST BRICK BUILDING IN STATE By HAMPTON DUNN MONTICELLO --The handsome brick school building with enormous white pillars that sits beside busy U.S. 90 here has a distinction --and a history. Now Jefferson County High School, the nucleus of the structure is the old Jefferson Academy and it is the oldest brick building of continuous use still standing in Florida. The Academy was the first brick school house in the state. Back in the early 1800s, Monticello was a community of highly intelligent, well-educated men and women living on beautiful plantations. They strove to provide educational facilities for their children, many having private tutors, others sending their young to private schools. In 1832, the newly formed Legislative Council granted a charter to the trustees of Jefferson Academy and property lying south of Jefferson Street was reserved for the school. The Academy developed and by 1852 there was a need for a permanent home. Spearheading a drive that year to provide this was Hiram Masonic: Lodge, which contributed much of the hard cash needed. The bricks were made locally, moulded from clay dug from the George Taylor plantation and burned in the Bailey brick kiln. Additions and remodeling to the old structure came in 1915. The high school, built by Negro slaves, was integrated for the first time in September, 1965.