|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221156
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100715s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0064
Little school house over 100 years old
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 15, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the historic school house in Tampa's Plant Park.
Plant Park (Tampa, Fla.)
x Description and travel.
Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-e15LITTLE SCHOOL HOUSE OVER 100 YEARS OLD By HAMPTON DUNN TAMPA -The Historic School House in Plant Park, more than a century old, is the proud showplace of DeSoto Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. Situated under the shade trees at the rear of McKay Auditorium, the attractive frame was restored from the original which was built in 1850. It was built by Gen. Jesse Carter, who wanted a school house for his daughter, Josephine. Carter, a native Floridian, was one of the original trustees when Tampa was incorporated. He had the contract to bring the mail in from Gainesville by stagecoach. The school was the first west of the Hillsborough River. Pupils, other than Josephine, were Mary Lesley (Bird), Jane Givens (Wells), Lizzie Spencer (Henderson), Mary Eugenia Spencer (Mitchell) and Mary Kelly (Rumley). Col. Stephen M. Sparkman, who represented the First District in Congress from 1894 to 1917, as a young man, studied law in the little house. He was a protege of Henry Laurens Mitchell, later Governor of Florida. The building passed from hand to hand and at one time was used as a tool shed. Restoration began in 1932, when the original building was repaired and about 20 feet added to the structure, using the same materials and tools for building. Miss Marion McKay, who was born in the house, was instrumental in bringing about its restoration through the D. A. R.