USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Queen of England gave gifts to Lakeland Church

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Queen of England gave gifts to Lakeland Church
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Anglican church buildings -- Florida -- Lakeland   ( lcsh )
Description and travel -- Lakeland (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
non-fiction   ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the All Saints Episcopal Church in Lakeland, its construction, and Queen Alexandra's donation of altar furnishings.
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 20, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 002221357
oclc - 648993281
usfldc doi - D33-0069
usfldc handle - d33.69
System ID:
SFS0000450:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221357
005 20100720113905.0
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100720s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0069
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
035
(OCoLC)648993281
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
Queen of England gave gifts to Lakeland Church
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
b ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 20, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the All Saints Episcopal Church in Lakeland, its construction, and Queen Alexandra's donation of altar furnishings.
2 610
All Saints Episcopal Church (Lakeland, Fla.)
x History.
650
Anglican church buildings
z Florida
Lakeland.
651
Lakeland (Fla.)
Description and travel.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.69



PAGE 1

-e20QUEEN OF ENGLAND GAVE GIFTS TO LAKELAND CHURCH By HAMPTON DUNN LAKELAND -The All Saints Episcopal Church, S. Massachusetts Ave. and E. Lemon St., is unique in having an old church enclosed within the present structure. The Chapel, located south of the High Altar, entered from the east end of the south aisle, is a replica of the original church. Its furnishings and plan are the same as the first little English church founded in Acton, then rural Lakeland, in 1884. Acton was quite a pretentious village established between Lakes Bonney and Parker. Most of the population were natives of England, Scotland and Ireland, and was almost exclusively men. It was named for an English family whose head at the time was Lord Acton. It was an ill-advised venture and destined to a very short life, ending about 1889. The new Floridians naturally wanted to build a church to worship as they had been taught by their fathers. The resident manager made a trip to England, put on lectures about "Florida" and charged admission fees all of which were used to finance construction of the first building. The late Herbert J. Drane; distinguished Congressman for many years and long a historian for All Saints, recorded that "The Princess of Wales, afterwards the Queen of England (Alexandra, 1844-1925), (wife of Edward VII), became interested and gave to the little church certain altar furnishings, consisting...of some brass vases and perhaps some altar hangings, all of which disappeared very soon by the hands of vandals -the church being segregated and having no regular caretaker..." An Episcopal congregation was formed in Lakeland in 1888 and this group moved the little Acton church building to town, using oxen for transport. The new and present edifice was built in 1924 and the old church was permanently recalled through design of the Chapel incorporated in the new structure.

PAGE 2

-e20