|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200313Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221198
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100716s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0088
Erosion has plagued Cape San Blas Lighthouse
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 16, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Cape San Blas lighthouse.
Port Saint Joe
Port Saint Joe (Fla.)
Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-f19EROSION HAS PLAGUED CAPE SAN BLAS LIGHTHOUSE By HAMPTON DUNN PORT ST. JOE --The Cape San Blas lighthouse still guides sailors today, just as it has since its establishment in 1849, but it has had a rough time surviving the gnawing erosion of the sea. The first structure fell down during a gale in 1851. A new one was completed in 1856. A few months later it was destroyed. "The sea rose so high," the Lighthouse Board reported, "that the waves struck the floor of the keeper's dwelling elevated eight feet above ground, and about 14 feet above the ordinary tides. A lagoon now occupies the site of the lighthouse." Another lighthouse went up. It was severely damaged by the Confederate forces during the Civil War. The history of this light has been repeated through the years. At one time, it was decided to move the lighthouse to Black's Island, in St. Joseph's Bay, but this was abandoned after the foundation had been poured. The latest tower was built in 1919. The light is now in a brown, square skeleton tower, enclosing a stair cylinder with the lantern 96 feet above ground and 101 feet above water. The 200,000-candle power 3-order electric light flashes white every 20 seconds and is visible 16 miles. A radiobeacon was established at the station in 1939. The keepers with the longest period of service at Cape San Blas were Mr. and Mrs. Charles Lupton who were transferred from the Cedar Key Lighthouse to San Blas in 1895 and were stationed there until 1921.