|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221454
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100721s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0097
Hulley Tower memorializes Stetson leader
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 21, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Hulley tower, in honor of Lincoln Hully, at Stetson University.
De Land (Fla.)
Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-g08HULLEY TOWER MEMORIALIZES STETSON LEADER By HAMPTON DUNN DELAND --Minutes of the 1905 Florida Baptist Convention paint a portrait of the man, Dr. Lincoln Hulley: "...We feel that we have in him not only a man possessed with breadth of culture and scholarship, the charm and eloquence of the orator, the tact and ability of the executive, but one to whom belongs the high and noble mindedness and deep spirituality of the Christian gentleman..." The former Bucknell University professor took over as president of Stetson University here in 1904 at the age of 39, and served for the next 30 years. He found dissension, soon got John B. Stetson reinstated as chairman of the trustees, who in return paid off the large debts of the school. Other highlights of his administration: The student body grew to 500, the school was accredited, the College of Law was recognized by the American Bar Association, the first summer school was held and the Stover Theatre began pioneering in dramatics. Dr. Hulley became interested in politics, was elected State Senator in 1918, served two terms. He ran for Governor of Florida in 1920, but lost to Cary A. Hardee and Van C. Swearingen. The distinguished leader used to pack 1,000 persons into Sunday afternoon Vesper services he led. He quit holding them because local ministers complained he cut into their Sunday night crowds. Collections at the Vespers grew into a fund from which came the "Eloise Chimes," for Mrs. Hulley. They were mounted in Elizabeth Hall, but set up vibrations too great for the structure. Dr. Hulley then built Hulley Tower, where the chimes are now housed. The tower is a square red brick campaniele 80 feet high, rising from a dressed limestone base. The bodies of the great Stetson president, who died in 1934, and his wife are in crypts on the first floor of the tower.