|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221451
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100721s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0099
First flush 'john' brought fame to this house
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 21, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the first flush toilet in Pensacola.
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
g10 FIRST FLUSH 'JOHN' BROUGHT FAME TO THIS HOUSE By HAMPTON DUNN PENSACOLA --Fame comes in different ways to different people and places. A distinction for one of the beautifully restored homes facing on Seville Square here is that the house is reputed to have had the first flush toilet in Pensacola. This modern marvel, of course, attracted many visitors who came to see the ingenious device work. History is clear that this lot at 304 East Government St. and adjacent proper ties have been used for resident ial areas since the late 1700s during the second Spanish period. The present structure, now occupied by an exclusive women's gift and apparel shop, was erected between 1884 and 1896 by William H. McLelland, and is known as the "McLelland House." In 1896 i t was deeded to Mary E. Stokes, wife of sea captain John E. Stokes, and is sometimes called the "Stokes House." It was completely renov ated in 1965 by the present owners, Admiral and Mrs. John Raby and their daughter, Mrs. Wilmer Mitchell. It was restored as part of the vast preservation program underway in Pensacola. Marion Blount Raby is a descendant of one of the original Spanish owners. Although the store operates as "Sea Captain's Shop," the name was not derived from Captain Stokes nor Admiral Raby. It honors a shop by the same name in Shanghai, China, where Admiral and Mrs. Raby used to shop and became friendly with the owners. Seville Square has been the gathering place for Pensacolans for more than two centuries. The British called it Public Squar e during their occupation. The Spanish named it in honor of Seville, Spain.