|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221416
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100721s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0105
Sugar mill or mission ruins, it's interesting
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 21, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Mission of Atocuimi, which was turned into a sugar mill in the 1830s and deeded to the Florida Sate Historical Society in 1928.
Spanish mission buildings
New Smyrna Beach.
New Smyrna Beach.
New Smyrna Beach (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
g16 SUGAR MILL OR MISSION RUINS, IT'S INTERESTING By HAMPTON DUNN NEW SMYRNA BEACH --A mile or so off U.S. 1 here is an interesting stone structure preserved by the State as a historic memorial. Sometimes it is referred to as the ruins of the "Mission of Atocuimi." It is said to have been built by the Spaniards in the 1600s for the Jororo Indians. The mission was burned a few years later and when the British came along it was used as a sugar mill. In the 1830s a sugar mill was started here for the Depeyste r and Cruger firm. The Indians put the torch to it during their war with the white man. A brochure issued by the State Parks explains: "Mrs. Jeannette Thurber Connor and her husband, Washington E. Connor, thoughtfully and reverently purchased the site of the Cruger and Depeyster ruins in 1893 and deeded it to the Florida State Historical Society in 1928. They believed the ruins to be the remains of an old Spanish mission, converted into a sugar mill. This error is understandable as the well formed arches c ould well grace a church, a chapel or a mission." Part of the history of the mission is that in 1696 the Indians rebelled against an order of Fray Luis Sanchez, a priest, who forbade their observance of certain tribal customs. The priest and two of his In dian converts were slain and the church ornaments were stolen. The sugar mill ruins which remain today are of native coquina rock. One of th the iron kettles is still around and the "walking beam" of the engine remains.