|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221517
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100723s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0122
Matanzas is Spanish for 'massacre'
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 23, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Fort Matanzas National Monument.
Fort Matanzas National Monument.
Fort Matanzas National Monument (Fla.)
Matanzas Inlet (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
h13 MATANZAS IS SPANISH FOR 'MASSACRE' By: HAMPTON DUNN FORT MATANZAS NATIONAL MONUMENT --They call it Rattlesnake Island, this water -surrounded stone fort with the bloody name of Matanzas, which is Spanish for "massacre." The weird name comes from that dreadful fortnight back in 1565 when the Spanish explorer Don Pedro Menendez, founder of St. Augustine, ordered the execution of several hundred French Huguenots to wipe out any French challenge to his nation's holdings in the New World. The fort stands in a waterway known as Matanzas Inlet. Menendez was lauded by King Phillip II of Spain for the slaughter not because the victims were French, but because they were Lutherans which he regarded as "pirates." They had surrendered unconditionally. Down through the years this li ttle military outpost has figured in other historic events. After attacks by the British, by pirates and by Indians, the Spanish finally built the fort. It was completed in 1742 and looked then as it does today, a sturdy masonry structure with a minaret li ke sentry box. It served through the years as a vital defense to St. Augustine. The stone was native coquina quar ried from the King's quarry on nearby Anastasia Island. The fort ruin was designated a National Monument by Presidential proclamation in 1924 It is 14 miles south of St. Augustine on Florida AlA. The Monument in cludes 308 acres on Rattlesnake Island, where the fort is located, and Anastasia Island, where the visitor center is. The fort is accessible only by boat.