USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

100-year-old post office now "retired"

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
100-year-old post office now "retired"
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Historic buildings -- Florida -- Madison   ( lcsh )
Post office buildings -- Florida -- Madison   ( lcsh )
Description and travel -- Madison (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
non-fiction   ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the old post office at Ellaville (now Madison).
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 22, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 002221478
oclc - 649702829
usfldc doi - D33-0128
usfldc handle - d33.128
System ID:
SFS0000509:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

-h19100-YEAR-OLD POST OFFICE NOW "RETIRED" By HAMPTON DUNN MADISON --The little white house sitting proudly there under the giant lave oaks behind the Woman's Club once was the Post Office at Ellaville. One of its postmasters was George F. Drew who served as Governor of Florida from 1877 to 1881. Robert L. Ripley once cited the tiny structure as the world's smallest post office, but that was after the building had served its better days. Time was when Ellaville, on the Suwannee River, was a booming lumber town and the lively community had a good sized Post Office, plus other signs of bigness such as two churches, a fire brigade, a Masonic lodge and a brass band. Madison County's highly respected historian, Edwin B. Browning Sr., related the story of the post office in the local Madison Enterprise-Recorder weekly newspaper. He recalled that the post office dates back to 1867 and revealed that Governor Drew continued as postmaster even while he was serving as Governor in Tallahassee, probably assigning the duties to an assistant. The last postmistress was Mrs. Pearl Neogel who was serving when World War II began and the office shut down. The little building was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. Van H. Priest who used it for a business office awhile, then gave it to the Garden Club. Historian Browning observes that the mini-post office sits "in quiet and beautiful dignity, apparently waiting for the letters that never come."

PAGE 2

-h19


xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221478
005 20100722110906.0
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100722s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0128
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
035
(OCoLC)649702829
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
100-year-old post office now "retired"
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
b ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 22, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the old post office at Ellaville (now Madison).
650
Historic buildings
z Florida
Madison.
Post office buildings
Florida
Madison.
651
Madison (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.128