USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Brick wall a memento of early Navy yard

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Brick wall a memento of early Navy yard
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Navy-yards and naval stations -- Florida -- Pensacola   ( lcsh )
Description and travel -- Pensacola (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
non-fiction   ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the old Navy Yard in Pensacola.
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 22, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 002221473
oclc - 649701646
usfldc doi - D33-0133
usfldc handle - d33.133
System ID:
SFS0000514:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

-i04BRICK WALL A MEMENTO OF EARLY NAVY YARD By HAMPTON DUNN PENSACOLA --It has been a long and happy "marriage," the union of Pensacola and the U.S. Navy that dates back to the earliest of Florida's Territorial days. The first session of the Territorial Legislature called on the President to build a naval depot here. This got action and a commission of Navy brass visited here on Oct. 25, 1825, to select a site. President John Quincy Adams and Secretary of Navy Samuel Southward realized the advantage of the Pensacola harbor and the large timber reserves for ship-building nearby. Development of the project moved slowly, and, finally in 1842 the Florida delegate to Congress, David L. Yulee, demanded action. Yulee followed through as U.S. Senator which he became when the state was admitted to the U.S. in 1845. A memento of the early days of the Navy Yard still stands. It is a long brick wall which defines the north and west boundaries of the original Navy Yard. It was erected during the years 1837 to 1855 and it separated the Navy Yard from the old city of Warrington to the West and the old city of Woosley to the North. The wall was 14 feet high, 24 inches thick and 3,120 feet in length. It cost $20,368. The Pensacola Lighthouse was erected in 1825. A dry dock was built in 1849. During the Civil War, the Navy Yard was in the hands of the Confederate forces. The young U.S. Engineer who was in charge of building the Navy Yard, Maj. William Chase, became a general officer for the Confederates and took over the base in January, 1861.

PAGE 2

-i04


xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200313Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221473
005 20100722105051.0
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100722s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0133
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
035
(OCoLC)649701646
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
Brick wall a memento of early Navy yard
h [electronc resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
b ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 22, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the old Navy Yard in Pensacola.
650
Navy-yards and naval stations
z Florida
Pensacola.
651
Pensacola (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.133