|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002221470
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100722s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0136
Sherman served at Fort Dallas as lieutenant
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 22, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes Miami's Fort Dallas and Sherman's stationing there during the Seminole Wars.
Sherman, William T.
q (William Tecumseh),
Fort Dallas (Miami, Fla.)
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-i07SHERMAN SERVED AT FORT DALLAS AS LIEUTENANT By HAMPTON DUNN MIAMI --This capital of Florida's Gold Coast hasn't always been the glittering, swinging place it is today. A little more than a century ago it was hardly big enough to call a village. (As late as 1920 its population was only 29,000!). Development of this magic metropolis dates back to the days of the Seminole Wars when the Federal Government established Fort Dallas in what was then a wilderness but today is downtown Miami --and the site of the Dallas Park Hotel. The U.S. Army was fighting the pesky Indian guerillas in a war similar to the modern day Vietnam battles, very costly in money and lives. Thus a string of forts was built. Fort Dallas was erected in 1836 about the time Dade County was created from Monroe County. The new county, effective Feb. 4, 1836, was named in honor of Maj. Francis L. Dade, current hero of the nation who was killed at Bushnell by Indians who wiped out Dade's whole company. (Dade had been stationed at the new fort in Miami shortly before his death). Near the end of the war, a dashing Second Lieutenant, William Tecumseh Sherman, later to gain fame in the Civil War, was stationed at Fort Dallas, his first assignment after West Point graduation. The stone barracks of Fort Dallas were moved, stone by stone, in 1924, from the original site to Lummus Park at Northwest Third Ave. and Fourth St. The old site had been sold to become a hotel site. Fort Dallas was abandoned in 1858 when all military posts in Florida were closed.