|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002222560
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100803s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0194
Horses, carriages gone --- but Lakeside Inn lives on
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Aug. 3, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes Lakeside Inn near Mount Dora.
Lakeside Inn (Mount Dora, Fla.)
Mount Dora (Fla.)
Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-l05HORSES, CARRIAGES GONE --BUT LAKESIDE INN LIVES ON By HAMPTON DUNN MOUNT DORA --Lakeside Inn, hidden underneath giant, shady oak trees and overlooking gorgeous Lake Dora, beckons the elite today just as it has since way back in the 1880s. It's an elegant resort hotel that lives on and on, even though it was begun when horses and carriages transported guests from the nearby train depot to the inn. It continues today to be a retreat for the wealthy, for those seeking quiet from a busy modern world. It remains one of the few resort hotels still on the full American plan. When the first of several structures which now form the hotel was built in 1888, it was known as The Lake House and was a small boarding house operated by Miss Emma Boone. Mount Dora was just a tiny village of 32 permanent families and quite a few tourists from New England. The long verandah which welcomes guests today was on that original house. The oaks, palms and gardens were there, also. Miss Boone married George Thayer, a prosperous retired business man who came south from Boston, in 1903. The resort grew in popularity and in 1914 an additional building called Sunset Cottage was added and the Inn stepped up to the hotel classification. In 1924 Archie Hurlburt bought the Inn and formed a company with Charles Edgerton as president. Edgerton was father of Richard Edgerton, the present head and principal stockholder and one-time Florida Hotel Commissioner under Gov. LeRoy Collins. Many famed visitors have come here, but the most famous was President Calvin Coolidge, who with his wife spent the winter of 1930 here, relaxing after retiring from the Presidency. He dedicated the newest building, the Terrace, that year.