USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Convent has served as a hospital

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Convent has served as a hospital
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Convents -- Florida -- Key West   ( lcsh )
Description and travel -- Key West (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
non-fiction   ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Convent of Mary Immaculate in Key West.
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Aug. 2, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 002222500
oclc - 651717183
usfldc doi - D33-0198
usfldc handle - d33.198
System ID:
SFS0000579:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

-l09CONVENT HAS SERVED AS A HOSPITAL By HAMPTON DUNN KEY WEST --A distinctive landmark in this historic city full of landmarks is the Convent of Mary Immaculate. The unique structure sits next to the St. Mary's Star of the Sea Roman Catholic Church on Truman Ave. The old convent was built by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, a Canadian order which first established a school in Key West in 1868, shortly after the Civil War. This building was erected in 1878. The odd architecture was designed by 'William Kerr of Ireland, and is of Romanesque style, with dormered, mansard roofs and central tower. The building was enlarged in 1904. Mr. Kerr also built three public buildings, the old Post Office, the old City Hall and the Monroe County Court House. During the Spanish-American War, when Key West was a center of activity with troops headed for Cuba or returning, the Sisters offered their services as nurses and the Convent to the U.S. Navy as a hospital. The Sisters rendered devoted service to the wounded and yellow fever victims. In 1901, Sister Egidius started a museum at the Convent. It features a large collection of Spanish-American War artifacts. There also are Civil War and World Wars I and II items on display. A special piece of interest at the museum is a shell encrusted chest that was made by Dr. Samuel A. Mudd during his imprisonment at Fort Jefferson, 69 miles west of Key West in the Dry Tortugas. Mudd was accused as a Lincoln conspirator after treating John Wilkes Booth's leg.

PAGE 2

-l09


xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200313Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002222500
005 20100802164109.0
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100802s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0198
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
035
(OCoLC)651717183
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
Convent has served as a hospital
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
b ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Aug. 2, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Convent of Mary Immaculate in Key West.
650
Convents
z Florida
Key West.
651
Key West (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.198