|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002222418
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100730s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0204
Restaurant stands on site of old Fort Brooke
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed July 30, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes site of old Fort Brooke, now in Tampa.
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-l15RESTAURANT STANDS ON SITE OF OLD FORT BROOKE By HAMPTON DUNN TAMPA --At the corner of Franklin and. Platt streets stands today a replica of a fort that houses a restaurant and bar operating under the name of "Old Fort." In front is a historical marker pinpointing the site of old Fort Brooke, an important military installation during the Indian wars and the beginning of the settlement that eventually became Tampa. The Treaty of Camp Moultrie in 1823 called for the removal, of the Indians to the southern part of the state. The Federal government decided to establish a string of forts in various parts of South Florida to police the area and keep the Indians down. Late that year Col. George Mercer Brooke, comfortably situated at Fort Clinch near Pensacola, was ordered to Tampa Bay. Col. James Gadsden was sent first to mark the boundaries of the new military reservation. Thus, the landing place of the party was designated "Gadsden Point" and the new fort itself was named to honor Brooke. The officer and his five-ship convey transporting four companies of men arrived in late January, 1824. During the first Seminole War (1835-42) more than 3,000 soldiers were stationed here in the 16-mile-square reservation. It served as Army Headquarters for that war and the later Seminole war (1855-58). Because of its proximity to the water, Fort Brooke was the chief supply depot for troops in Florida. Meanwhile, outside the reservation early settlers came and established a tiny village that later became the metropolis of Tampa.