|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002222633
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100803s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0223
Pinellas' oldest church moves after four decades
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Aug. 3, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in St. Petersburg.
St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church (Saint Petersburg, Fla.)
Anglican church buildings
Saint Petersburg (Fla.)
Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-m14PINELLAS' OLDEST CHURCH MOVES AFTER FOUR DECADES By HAMPTON DUNN ST. PETERSBURG --It's a pretty church building --Gothic architecture with board-and.-batten construction, weathered pine board cathedral ceiling and long, high nave criss-crossed with ancient pine timbers. Small wonder, then, the congregation decided to move the original building, piece by piece, when the old neighborhood changed and a new location chosen. St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church is the oldest church structure in Pinellas County. It was organized on April 20, 1887. It was constructed in the summer of 1887 by a handful of poineers equipped with crude tools. Built of unterpined pine, the church records indicate the first building cost $673 (of which $246 was raised in the U. S., $383 in England, and $44 at a bazaar held by the church members). Dr. John B. Abercrombie donated an acre of land for the church. The church stood on the site at Lakeview Avenue and 19th Street South for more than 80 years. In 1970, however, the historic structure was moved to its present location at 34th Street and 35th Avenue, S. The pastor, the Rev. Dwight A. Filkins, said the move was made "to better serve the parish." The Diocese of Southwest Florida retains the land adjacent to where the old church was built in 1887. In 1895 ground around St. Bartholomew's was consecrated as a cemetery -the first in the area. Many of St. Petersburg's pioneer citizens rest in graves there. Among them is the late Abram C. Pheil, one-time Mayor and a successful real estate developer.