USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Old Methodist church named for Indian

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Old Methodist church named for Indian
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Historic buildings -- Florida -- Columbia County   ( lcsh )
Methodist church buildings -- Florida -- Columbia County   ( lcsh )
History -- Columbia County (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
non-fiction   ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Tustenuggee United Methodist Church in Columbia County's Fort White.
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Aug. 19, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 002244157
oclc - 656842668
usfldc doi - D33-0247
usfldc handle - d33.247
System ID:
SFS0000628:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

-n18OLD METHODIST CHURCH NAMED FOR INDIAN By HAMPTON DUNN FORT WHITE --Here in southern Columbia County, there is the Tustenuggee United Methodist Church, which in its beginning was involved in mission work with the Indians and which was named for an Indian chief. Tradition is that it is named for Halpatter Tustenuggee, or Alligator Warrior. At one time, the county seat of Columbia County, Lake City, was called "Alligator," recognizing the strong Indian chief. Some say that the Alligator Warrior is buried in the Tustenuggee cemetery, but this is not verified. The Tustenuggee Society (Methodist churches originally were called "societies") is the oldest church in the Fort White Circuit and one of the oldest in Florida. The church first occupied a log house which had been used as a tool shed by Major John Bellamy in 1825-26, while building the "Old Bellamy Road" or "Spanish Trail" between St. Augustine and Pensacola. The present church stands on that site. In 1829, the Rev. Issac Boring came this way and preached to the Indians. In the early days, circuit preachers had to carry guns for protection, and also guards watched out for hostile Indians during church services. In the year that Florida became a state, 1845, the Rev. John. C. Ley came to the Tustenuggee community. He conducted a revival and after that the Tustenuggee Society was officially organized, according to William E. Brooks, editor of the history of Methodism in Florida, "From Saddlebags to Satellites." A log building with a split pine floor was built to house the congregation. A tradition of this church is that there was a tree at, or near, the site where the church was built that was known as "the armchair of Tustenuggee," which according to Indian belief had magical :power over those who sat in its shade.

PAGE 2

-n18


xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200325Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002244157
005 20100819102928.0
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100819s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0247
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
035
(OCoLC)656842668
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
Old Methodist church named for Indian
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
b ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Aug. 19, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Tustenuggee United Methodist Church in Columbia County's Fort White.
650
Historic buildings
z Florida
Columbia County.
Methodist church buildings
Florida
Columbia County.
651
Columbia County (Fla.)
x History.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.247