|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
-o04U. D. C. HEADQUARTERS IN 'PATTEN HOUSE' By HAMPTON DUNN ELLENTON --The Florida Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy gained a permanent headquarters and the State of Florida acquired a historic structure with the purchase of the attactive "Patten House." The building is described as an "excellent example of primitive Florida architecture from the period around the turn of the century" and is a valuable addition too the historic Gamble Mansion complex here on U.S. 301 in this village near Bradenton. The Gamble Mansion is where Judah P. Benjamin, "the Brains of the Confederacy," a Confederate Cabinet officer, hid out on his flight from the Federal troops chasing him at the collapse of the Civil 'far. It has been a State Monument for many years. Maj. George Patten, a wealthy cotton merchant from Savannah, Ga., came here after the war and settled his family in the Gamble Mansion. He bought the beautiful property at auction in 1873 for $3,000, for an estate that 15 years earlier had sold for $190,000. The Pattens lived there awhile, but the structure was awfully run-down and in need of a new roof and other repairs. The Major decided to build his own cottage and move out of the Gamble Mansion. The family lived happily ever after in the comfortable, but modest, four-room frame house. A back wing and two bedrooms and a balcony upstairs were added later. The Mansion was deserted until the U. D. C. ladies got interested in it and finally got the State to take it over. After the death of Mrs. Dudley Patten in 1967, the State Parks Board bought the Patten House for $30,000, and it was moved several hundred yards north to another location on the Mansion grounds. The U. D. C. lathes have done a magnificent job of painting and restoring it and furnishing it with period furniture typical of that used around 1870 or later. The building, besides being a show place, also is a nice state headquarters for this patriotic organization.
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002222813
006 m d
007 cr bn|||||||||
008 100806s196u flua s 000 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0253
U.D.C. headquarters in 'Patten House'
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Aug. 6, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Gamble House in Ellenton. Major George Patten lived in the Gamble House after the Civil War, and the State Parks Board bought it in 1967, at which time the United Daughters of the Confederacy began using it as their headquarters.
United Daughters of the Confederacy.
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.