|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002317869
006 m d
007 cr nna||||||||
008 100907s196u flua s 100 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0268
Navy air station buildings are old
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Sept. 7, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Navy Yard buildings in Pensacola.
Naval Air Station Pensacola (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-o19NAVY AIR STATION BUILDINGS ARE OLD By HAMPTON DUNN PENSACOLA --The U.S. Navy first came to Pensacola in 1825, when President John Quincy Adams and Secretary of the Navy Samuel Southard, realizing the advantages of Pensacola Harbor, made arrangements to build a Navy Yard where the Naval Air Station, stands today. That is a bit of history as outlined to personnel at the present day NAS base. The Navy Yard then was well established even before Florida was admitted to the Union in 1825. From the beginning, Pensacola was a base for the American fleet engaged in suppressing slave trade and piracy in the Gulf and the Caribbean. By the time the Civil War broke out in 1861, it had become one of the best equipped Naval establishments in the country. In January of that year, Florida seceded from the Union and the Confederate forces took over the Yard after a bloodless siege. Later, the Southerners withdrew, destroying much of the Navy Yard as they went. After that conflect, the Navy Yard was restored and many of the structures that were built then are still standing and serving the Navy personnel. Work was done on the Quarters from 1869 to 1876. The original one story brick kitchens and slave quarters that had been temporarily fitted up for officers' quarters were raised one story with verandahs on three sides and two story kitchens attached. A large and commodious double house was built for the Commandant. (Photo). Building of this house was begun on March 26, 1873, and completed in June 1894. Hurricanes, a yellow fever epidemic and other catastrophes have occurred here, but the big Navy facility remains intact.