|USFDC Home | Search all Groups | Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida Collection||| RSS|
This item is only available as the following downloads:
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002317525
006 m d
007 cr nna||||||||
008 100902s197u flua s 100 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0287
'A superb survival' of mid-19th century
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
1 online resource (2 p.) :
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Sept. 2, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the McDougall House, an antebellum home turned into a state-owned home for visiting dignitaries in 1972, in Tallahassee.
x Description and travel.
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
-p18'A SURPERB SURVIVAL' OF MID-19TH CENTURY By HAMPTON DUNN TALLAHASSEE For years now, it's been known as "The McDougall House," this fine mansion at 329 North Meridian Street, where the eastern end of Virginia Street deadends. This lovely ante-bellum house was built in 1850, remains in excellent condition and has been described as "a superb survival of its period, the mid-nineteenth century. Indeed it is. And the 1972 Florida Legislature vote to acquire the handsome structure with the idea in mind of making it a State "Blair House," or residence for visiting dignitaries. The purchase and preservation of the structure was strongly urged by Trustees of the Historic Tallahassee Preservation Board, a statewide agency. The original owner was Peres B. Brokaw, who came here from New York State where his family was prominent, in 1840, and married. Lumber was brought from England by way of St. Marks. The massive Corinthian pillars, doors, cornices, bronze chandeliers were imported from London. Architectural features, according to a paper on file in the Leon County Planning Commission office, are the hip roof and captain's walk, the crocker cornices with pendants, the pediments over the windows (an echo of Greek Revival influence), front windows extending to floor and the one-story porch running across the front with fluted Corinthian columns. The house has two interior chimneys at each end. The entrance door has a. rectangular transom and sidelights. The windows appear to be original throughout. The latest owner before the State was Mrs. P. B. McDougall, a granddaughter of the original owner.