USF Libraries
USF Digital Collections

Marco Lodge

MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Marco Lodge history amid 'progress'
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Historic buildings -- Florida -- Goodland   ( lcsh )
Restaurants -- Florida -- Goodland   ( lcsh )
Taverns (Inns) -- Florida -- Goodland   ( lcsh )
Description and travel -- Goodland (Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
conference publication   ( marcgt )
non-fiction   ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Marco Lodge in Goodland.
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Sept. 8, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
aleph - 002318868
oclc - 662723076
usfldc doi - D33-0298
usfldc handle - d33.298
System ID:
SFS0000679:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text

PAGE 1

-q09MARCO LODGE: HISTORY AMID 'PROGRESS' BY HAMPTON DUNN GOODLAND --Home cooked meals, featuring seafood, continues to draw Marco Island visitors to historic old Marco Lodge, just as they have for decades. The two-story, white clapboard building on the waterfront is a landmark of this now fast-developing island. But "progress" just came about the mid-1960's. Until then, this was an off-beat, quiet isle off the Florida coast in the Ten Thousand Islands. The Marco Lodge originally was the family home of the family of Capt. W. D. (Bill) Collier, who built it in an old Marco townsite at the north end of the island. His grandfather, William Thomas Collier, was the first man to settle on Marco Island. This Collier family is not related to Barron G. Collier, the New York advertising man who came here and developed Collier County. Captian Bill's home, according to a daughter, Mrs. Emma Collier Hudson, was erected in 1888 and contained but five rooms. Later, as the family increased, the roof was raised and a second floor was added. Through the years it was a private home until it became the property of the Barfields. Still as the property of Mrs. Tommie C. Barfield, it became a commercial inn known as the White House. In 1949 it was being operated as the Marco Lodge by Mrs. Marge Wine. Alex Tasetano, a native of Italy, came to Marco from Miami that year, primarily to rebuild the old Barfield home at Caxambas, met Marge, married her and then helped manage the lodge. The Ruppert family, then owner of the property, had development plans which did not include the Lodge. So Alex and Marge moved it to the present site in January, 1965.

PAGE 2

-q09


xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200337Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002318868
005 20100908160813.0
006 m d
007 cr nna||||||||
008 100908s196u flua s 100 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0298
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
035
(OCoLC)662723076
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
Marco Lodge
h [electronic resource] :
b history amid 'progress' /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Sept. 8, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes the Marco Lodge in Goodland.
650
Historic buildings
z Florida
Goodland.
Restaurants
Florida
Goodland.
Taverns (Inns)
Florida
Goodland.
651
Goodland (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.298