St. Johns River missionaries founded church

Citation
St. Johns River missionaries founded church

Material Information

Title:
St. Johns River missionaries founded church
Series Title:
Hampton Dunn collection
Creator:
Dunn, Hampton
Publication Date:
Language:
English
Physical Description:
1 online resource (2 p.) : ill. ;

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Anglican church buildings -- Florida -- Green Cove Springs ( lcsh )
Historic buildings -- Florida -- Green Cove Springs ( lcsh )
Description and travel -- Green Cove Springs (Fla.) ( lcsh )
Genre:
non-fiction ( marcgt )
conference publication ( marcgt )

Notes

Abstract:
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Green Cove Springs.
General Note:
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Sept. 1, 2010).
General Note:
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
Original Version:
Hampton Dunn collection Box 328 Folder 15
Statement of Responsibility:
by Hampton Dunn.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
Resource Identifier:
002317408 ( ALEPH )
660047523 ( OCLC )
D33-0315 ( USFLDC DOI )
d33.315 ( USFLDC Handle )

Postcard Information

Format:
Book

Downloads

This item has the following downloads:


Full Text
xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader nam 2200349Ia 4500
controlfield tag 001 002317408
005 20100901142249.0
006 m d
007 cr nna||||||||
008 100901s196u flua s 100 0 eng d
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a D33-0315
040
FHM
c FHM
043
n-us-fl
035
(OCoLC)660047523
049
FHmm
090
F306 (ONLINE)
1 100
Dunn, Hampton.
0 245
St. Johns River missionaries founded church
h [electronic resource] /
by Hampton Dunn.
260
196-?
300
1 online resource (2 p.) :
b ill.
500
Title from caption on PDF of p.1 (viewed Sept. 1, 2010).
At head of title: Photouring Florida.
520
Typescript of Photouring Florida column that describes St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Green Cove Springs.
600
Young, J. Freeman --
q (John Freeman), --
d 1820-1885
2 610
St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Green Cove Springs, Fla.)
650
Anglican church buildings
z Florida
Green Cove Springs.
Historic buildings
Florida
Green Cove Springs.
651
Green Cove Springs (Fla.)
x Description and travel.
773
t Hampton Dunn Photouring Florida collection.
w (OCoLC)645457977
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?d33.315



PAGE 1

-r06ST. JOHNS RIVER MISSIONARIES FOUNDED CHURCH By HAMPTON DUNN GREEN COVE SPRINGS --In the early years of development in Northeast Florida, Episcopal missionaries sailed up and down St. Johns River and ministered to small flocks in communities along the way. As the congregations grew, churches were founded. And do it was St. Mary's Episcopal Church in this lovely Clay County town came about. Dr. Joseph D. Cushman, Jr., wrote a history of the denomination in Florida a number of years ago, and had this to say about St. Mary's: "The years of nuture given the tiny group of Churchmen by the river missionaries at Green Cove Springs came to fruition in January, 1881. The congregation of St. Mary's moved into their new church in the middle of a particularly cold winter. On one Sunday they were forced to quit the church and adjourn to the lobby of 'the Riverside Cottage' which was more comfortably heated. Since Green Cove Springs was one of the most popular winter resorts in Florida, the congregations were very good during the season. Regular services were conducted by the local lay reader, Mr. J. T. Adams, and supplemented by the visits of mission priests who celebrated Holy Communion." According to the name plate on the oak-shaded grounds of St. Mary's, the church construction took place in 1878-79, under the episcopate of The Rt. Rev. John Freeman Young, beloved second Bishop of Florida. Funds were raised by subscription and a fair at the home at l05 St. Johns Avenue. The lumber came from nearby Middleburg, the bell was shipped by boat from Jacksonville. The spire was finished in 1884 and the first services were March 10, 1879. The attractive fire doors and memorial windows are of special interest.

PAGE 2

-r06


printinsert_linkshareget_appmore_horiz

Download Options

close
Choose Size
Choose file type
Cite this item close

APA

Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.

MLA

Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.

CHICAGO

Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.

WIKIPEDIA

Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.