John Bulls in the Orange Groves by Paul W. Wehr OF THE MANY immigrants that came to Florida between the close of the Civil War and the turn of the century, few made so distinctiv e a contribution to the heritage of the state as did those English settlers who formed colo nies in the 1880Â’s. That system of settlement developed as a response to the efforts o f state and local politicians who, acting in the belief that FloridaÂ’s future prosperity depe nded upon a more abundant supply of capital, farmers, and laborers, actively sought imm igrants. Private interests also mobilized to publicize the virtues of the state. In the early 1890Â’s Henry S. Sanford on different occasions brought in Blacks, Italians, an d Swedes to fill the need for laborers, but only the approximately one hundred Swedes in th eir colony at New Upsala proved to be of any permanent benefit to the area. In 1880 he organized the Florida Land and Colonization Company which held over 100,000 acres in Orange, Sumter, Polk, and other counties. This was primarily a British owned compan y and so English capital was imported to make improvements. In 1883 it employed William Beardall, recently arrived from England, as company agent to facilitate reloca ting Englishmen on company lands. Once the state cleared itself of indebtedness throu gh the sale of approximately four million acres of land to Hamilton Disston in 1881, the number of companies formed for such purposes increased rapidly. Disston sold about one-half of his holdings to Sir Edward Reed, agent for a group of Anglo-Dutch inves tors who incorporated themselves as the Florida Land and Mortgage Company with it pr incipal office in London. Other British companies soon followed that example by pur chasing land from the sate, various railroad companies, and private citizens. The success of those companies depended upon their ability to attract settlers who would purchase their lands, and it was more often t heir own countrymen whom the sought as settlers. Notices began to appear in The Times of London extolling the salubriousness of FloridaÂ’s climate, the unimaginab le fertility of its soil, and its excellent business opportunities. In one article the SurgeonGeneral of the British army wrote glowingly of the stateÂ’s health-giving qualities, a nd in another the writer, with an eye on the hotel business, declared Florida to be the Â“Ita ly of America.Â” Thus the basis was laid for the English migration to Central Florida; a mig ration which grew so large one historian stated that it almost became an invasion. The greatest number of those immigrants located in a broad north-south corridor extending from Ormond Beach on the east to Hillsbor ough County on the west. Brief accounts of the two English colonies located north of Leesburg and the two southeast of Orlando are representative enough to illustrate the English experience. The colonies north of Leesburg were in the vicinity of present-day Fru itland Park: Chetwynd from about Zephyr Lake north to Lake Ella, and old Fruitland P ark south of Zephyr Lake. Chetwynd was the product of a land scheme promoted by Stapyl ton and Company whose prime mover was Granville Chetwynd Stapylton and two othe r Englishmen. Stapylton, who arrived in 1881, divided the companyÂ’s lands into t racts suitable for the cultivation of citrus. His father, Rev. Canon William Chetwynd Sta pylton, induced approximately eighty Britishers, younger sons of wealthy families and some businessmen, to come to Chetwynd to learn the intricacies of the citrus ind ustry by clearing and planting the company's lands. Many of those men, once they had f inished their training and had
purchased or established their own groves, sent for other members of their families. To accommodate those apprentices, the company construc ted Zephyr Hall, which served as living quarters for the bachelors and as a social c enter for the community. The Chetwynd Hotel also was constructed, but it existed in that capacity for only one year. FRUITLAND Park was founded by a Major Rooks of Geor gia who also offered to train young men in the citrus industry. It is said that the agent for that enterprise toured England persuading families to send their younger s ons to that agricultural school. The families were expected to pay a sum of money to cov er the cost of tuition and of transportation, reportedly in the cramped quarters of a freighter. Upon arrival those apprentices found not dormitories and farms but rou gh shacks and a virgin wilderness. Conditions became so difficult for some that they w ere seen ploughing in the dress suits they had so carefully carried with them so they cou ld be properly attired on social occasions. Thomas Charles Bridges in Florida to Fle et Street sarcastically termed such agricultural teachers as "pupil farmers." His havin g been just such an apprentice gave him the personal experience from which he wrote that th ose agricultural schools advertised in English newspapers, promising the comforts and recr eation of home for the trainee while he learned to become an accomplished citrus grower. The tuition for the school ran about Â£100 per year. He claimed that the pupil farmer mad e little effort to instruct the apprentice, but in actuality used him for whatever labor he could get out of him. Iza D. Hardy, writing in Oranges and Alligators about his experiences near Maitland, recalled that some of his countrymen sold some of their clot hing to Blacks for spending money. It would be inaccurate to believe all the settlers were in such financial straits, for many in both settlements lived in a carefree, almos t sporting manner. G.H.A. Elfin built a clubhouse which had a bar, billiard tables, and a r eading room, but the dues he asked were prohibitive for even the well-to-do, and the c lub failed. To fill the need for such socializing, the settlers organized the Bucket and Dipper Club whose rules restricted the membership to those of British birth or of British parentage and their libations within the clubhouse to only cold water served with a dipper. For more formal entertainment, the members provided their fellows with concerts, debat es, theatricals, and dances. In 1887, the more affluent settlers joined with some Leesbur g businessmen to form the American, British, and Colonial Racing Association. Those wit h horses raced them on the association's track located on Picciola Island in L ake Griffin. Some even enjoyed the traditional English hunt with riders in their pinks riding to hounds through the piney woods. Their minds were not given over altogether to work and pleasure, however, for on July 3, 1886, a meeting was held in The Hall to dis cuss the founding of a Protestant Episcopal congregation. Grace Chapel in Fruitland P ark reported a membership of forty communicants served by Rev. Dr. J. Beaubien of St. James Church in Leesburg. Two English clergymen, J.C.W Tasker and Spencer Fellows , served the Chetwynd group by holding services in The Hall and in a barn while fu nds were being raised for the construction of a church building. Canon Stapylton raised sufficient funds in England for construction to begin in 1888. On July 12, 1889, Ho ly Trinity, Chetwynd was consecrated. The edifice was located between the tw o settlements and so served both, thereby making Grace Chapel unnecessary. When the congregation moved into its new church, it numbered four families, sixtyfour baptized members, and fifty
five communicants. Also completed in the year of consecration was the Lych Gate, considered by some to be the oldest in the United States. The lych gate is a covered entrance to the churchyard, and in the service for the dead the casket rests there until the rector leads the procession into the church. The congregation's membership remained stable until 1896, when the two settlements showed signs of breaking up from the devastating effects of the freezes of 1894 and 1895. Archdeacon John H. Weddell wrote, "We feel the result of last winter's disaster. The population has become more than ever, migratory. The losses of the people in material resources have told upon the work in most all the missions in small towns and villages having a country constituency The effect is seen not only in the reduced financial strength, but in the reduced number of the membership that has survived..." The Stapyltons moved to Leesburg and the settlement at Chetwynd disappeared, and while similar effects were felt in Fruitland Park and the surrounding area, there were a sufficient number of hardy families, s uch as the talented Bonsanquets, the Vickers-Smith, the Cookes, and the Smiths, who thro ugh income from lands still owned in England refused to leave their farms and groves. Even so, in 1897 the congregation celebrated the "Diamond Jubilee of Her Britannic Ma jesty, Queen Victoria," in whose honor a brass altar bookrest was dedicated. In that year, however, the congregation numbered only thirty communicants and but twenty th e following year. Yet it survived through the efforts of the faithful few, and it sti ll worships in the same church today. The settlements at Narcoossee and Conway began to t ake shape in the mid-1880's. The former consisted of some 17,000 acres lying abo ut seven miles east of St. Cloud put together by Arthur Fell, Walter B. M. Davidson, the Florida Agricultural Company, Ltd., and Fell and Davidson Company with E. Nelson Fell a cting as their agent. Two thousand acres were platted into town lots with the remainde r divided into two-to ten-acre parcels suitable for citrus cultivation. An active recruiti ng program in England had brought over a number of settlers by 1886. According to Hardy th e freeze in January of that year was serious enough to prove to the dissatisfaction of e veryone that there was no such thing as a frost line or if there was, the frost line was ab out three inches below the ground. In the Maitland area where he resided, the cold froze the oranges, killed the banana trees, and wiped out the citron, but Narcoossee escaped that d estruction. That favorable experience undoubtedly contributed to increased English migrat ion, for by 1888 there were approximately two hundred settlers in the colony. IN THAT same year William Edward Cadman arrived as manager for the company, Front view of St. Luke and St. Peter Church in St. Cloud. It is the rebuilt sanctuary of St. Peter Â’s that was moved from Narcoossee. (Courtesy of Paul W. Wehr.
and it was he who gave leadership and direction to the new community. His rank as colonel in the British army and his wife's position as a lady-in-waiting to Queen Victoria lent respectability to the settlement and gave the settlers confidence in the endeavor. After he purchased a grove and ensconced his wife a nd four children in The Bungalow, he successfully worked to have the Sugar Belt Railr oad extended to Narcoossee. By then the town was said to contain a school, a railroad s tation, post office, the real estate office of Fell and Davidson, an attorney's office, a club for English residents, and blacksmith and carpenter shops. The majority of the new reside nts, however, came not to work but to enjoy life, and many Americans shook their heads in disbelief when many of the town's new residents built their tennis courts before they cleared their lands for planting. It is not surprising, then, that social activities played an important role in the life of the community and centered around the Narcoossee Ri ding Club, the Runnymede Hunt Club operating out of the Runnymede Hotel, and the Lawn Tennis Club. Important as those pastimes were, they did not blind the settler s to the traditional custom of English worship. Occupied as they were with the task of for ging a new community, a few found it imperative to establish a Protestant Episcopal cong regation. The number of settlers who held that faith had grow n sufficiently large by 1889 for Bishop Edwin G. Reed to visit Narcoossee to celebra te the Holy Eucharist, and two years later Rev. J. H. Weddell was holding services there every fifth Sunday in a schoolhouse. That small group, determined to have a church build ing of its own, already had $1,200 in hand for that purpose. Construction began in 1892 but the difficult economic conditions of late 1892 and early 1893 delayed its completion. The numerous business failures of those years caused the collapse of the First National Bank of Orlando, and when that institution closed its doors part of the building fund as well as the savings of many of the settlers was lost, which probably expla ins why Bishop William Crane Gray met with several members of his diocese to discuss ways to reopen the bank. The freezes of the next two years certainly could have proved d amaging to the building program, but instead of idly bemoaning their circumstances the m embers sponsored a series of socials, concerts, and theatricals to raise the necessary fu nds for the completion of the church. On one occasion Hamilton Disston and the local populac e turned out to welcome the many Kissimmee citizens who had come by special train to attend one of those benefits held at the Runnymede Hotel. Those efforts proved equal to the task, and the chu rch was completed and consecrated in 1898. Following the consecration ceremonies, the Cadmans gave a reception at The Bungalow at which the honored guests enjoyed refres hments and passed the time by playing croquet. The services at St. Peter's were u nique in the American setting, for prayers for the Queen and the Royal family were sai d as well as for the American civil authorities. Hardy reported that the little body of Englishmen who worshipped at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Maitland which did n ot include prayers for their sovereign "came home unreasonably aggrieved because for the first time in their lives they had heard the blessing of Heaven invoked upon the head 'of the President of the United States' instead of 'the Queen and all the Ro yal Family.'" What was really unique about that hardy bunch at Narcoossee was their fort itude and determination through bank failure and freezes not only to survive but to be o ut of debt. St. Peter's seventy-two foot spire, perhaps the tallest in Florida, gave evidenc e to the mettle of those Englishmen. THE settlement at Conway differed from the one at N arcoossee in that it was not a
company undertaking. There were three major English landholders who attracted others to settle around them. The first, Col. H. B. Church , purchased an eighty-acre citrus grove on the southeast side of Lake Underhill in 1881 and built a substantial home upon it. He then interested a number of his countrymen in citru s growing and sold them property for starting groves. The Rev. Charles William Arnold, g rand chaplain for the Grand Lodge of Masons in England, arrived in 1885 with his daughte r, six young men, and two servants to locate near Lake Conway. He built Arnold's Court , a large home with private chapel in which he provided Protestant Episcopal services for his countrymen. He also constructed a ten-room barracks to house those six young men wh ile they learned the basics of citrus cultivation. The third, Capt. Dudley G . Cary-Elwes , a veteran campaigner in India and China, arrived with his family in 1886 and built hi s Victorian home on Lake Fredrica complete with stables and tennis court. The settlement, occupying the triangular area lying between Lakes Underhill, Fredrica, and Conway, was not so isolated as the on e at Narcoossee from more heavily populated American centers; however, the Conway set tlers often found their lands in juxtaposition to or surrounded by lands owned by Americans. As a consequence, they not only integrated more easily with the local citizenry but also had a greater impact upon them. Although most of these Englishmen were more financially independent, some of them found it necessary to hire themselves out by working as carpenters, wagoners, and farm laborers or in packing plants until their groves matured. Perhaps because they were more separated from their fellow countrymen they suffered from a keen sense of loneliness and to combat that feeling they engaged in many forms of recreation. Col. Church was so interested in sailing he had a s mall yacht built for his sailing pleasure on Lake Underhill. Some younger settlers e qually enthusiastic about the sport joined with him in forming the Conway Yacht Club, a nd their regattas on Lake Conway were almost as colorful as their socials at the clu bhouse. For others the Wednesday afternoon tennis parties on the bermuda grass court s at the Cary-Elwes home became a must on the social calendar. The fondness for the s port spread to the Americans, for clay courts were soon to be found at the Seminole Hotel in Winter Park and near Lake Lucerne in Orlando. Henry B. Plant considered some of the English players from Conway accomplished enough to invite them to Tampa to participate in a tennis tournament he held to mark the opening of his hotel there. Att empts also were made to field a cricket team, and although a cricket pitch was laid out the game never succeeded in attracting a following. Golf was another sport that was played s poradically, and because of inadequate facilities few pursued the game with any constancy until the turn of the century. Rugby, however, became popular for a time. An English team from the Gulf Coast came to play the local squad at Conway, and m any people of fashion came from Orlando to watch the contest. Front of Holy Trinity Church, Chetwynd, with the lych gate to the right. (Courtesy of Paul W. Wehr.
The one sport which received the greatest attention and had the largest following was polo. Around 1886, General J. S. Swindler is said t o have organized a team although he did not play himself. Later, a polo field was laid out on what is now the corner of Conway and Bumby roads. On the southside of Nebrask a Avenue, Isaac Hopper constructed a horse track with a polo field inside it. He even built a grandstand for spectators. The game continued to enjoy its popular ity, so when the Orlando Driving Association built the racetrack where Exposition Pa rk is now located it developed a polo field inside the track. Games were played as early as 1888, and perhaps it was then that a Conway team visited St. Augustine where it met an A merican team made up of Northern players. The formation in 1890 of the Orlando Polo Club, which at one time boasted of a roster of one hundred members and which in 1906 bec ame a member of the American Polo Association, attested to the popularity of the game. The Association's 1908 program stated that the Club's colors were olive green and red and that Wyndham P Gwyne was its official delegate. Out of town matches were held at Aiken and Camden, South Carolina, and Pinehurst, North Carolina. In 1905, the club wa s defeated by a team from Jacksonville, but in the next year it won a loving cup from the Camden team. The home games were great attractions. Nat Beeman, owner of the San Juan Hotel in downtown Orlando, said he could fill his establishm ent only when polo matches were held. The contests generally took place in the afte rnoon with spectators from many miles around in attendance. Spectators and players took p art in English style teas between chukkers, and frequently the hosts threw a "polo ba ll" in the Armory in the evening. Sometimes the added attraction of a gymkhana attrac ted even greater numbers of spectators to the matches. The mixing of Americans and English at such events helped to solidify the friendly relations between the two peo ples, and the cordiality between the two was cemented further when Gordon Rogers, an Eng lish resident of Orlando, established The English Club in his building at the corn er of Magnolia and Pine streets. It was the custom of the Conway residents to ride into Orl ando on a Saturday afternoon to meet in The Club to drink iced beer, to play cards, and to enjoy billiards on the only full-sized table in the area. More formal entertainment presen ted at The Club included theatricals and dances. DESPITE all those activities, some of the Conway settlers endured a great loneliness, suffering through hot, wet weather in bare cabins, and a life for which they were ill-prepared. That they were unaccustomed to such conditions is illustrated by the experience of Bridges when he was making dough for bread. The yeast he used was bad, or so he thought, because the dough did not rise. So he left it and went out to work only to discover on returning that the dough had risen "clean out of the pan, had crawled over the table, and hung in long festoons to the floor. Red ants found it and were crawling in thousands up and down the dough icicles." It is not surprising t hat they sought some sort of emotional outlet. One group of settlers often gathered for a weekly poker party at a friend's place. Members of the Orlando Polo Club, circa 1909. (Courtesy of the Orange County Historical Museum.)
They usually arrived before sunset to shoot clay pi geons followed by a night of cardplaying. Quite a few, perhaps the more desperat e, went to Orlando to seek out the saloons to drink away their loneliness. The stories about the homeward journeys of the inebriates are legendary. In the Conway area, no less than in the other Engli sh settlements, the more stable element set about organizing a church, With the enc ouragement of Col. Cary-Elwes, a meeting was held in 1888 at which $300 was pledged as a stipend for a clergyman and subscriptions were accepted for the construction of a church. The congregation held its first service on Trinity Sunday, 1888, in an abando ned store. The members soon raised $1,800 and construction began. The first service th e Holy Trinity Congregation held in the new church took place on June 2, 1889, but for some reason it was not until January 10, 1892, that it was consecrated. Conway Holy Trin ity reported in 1889 that the congregation consisted of thirteen families and six ty-nine baptized members, fifty-four of whom were communicants. THE FREEZES of 1894 and 1895 are watersheds in the history of the Narcoossee and Conway settlements. They devastated those settlers as they had those of Chetwynd and Fruitland Park. It is believed that nearly two hundred Englishmen, almost half of all the residents in Narcoossee and Conway, either moved to urban centers or returned to England. Most of the young bachelors who had little financial reserves to fall back upon quickly gave up the fight. That desertion was not reflected in church membership, however. St. Peter's had only eighteen com-municant members at the end of 1894, but at the end of the next year it had twenty-three. If the freezes had any effect, it was in the two commu nicant members it lost in 1896 and the five more lost in 1897. But the communicant members hip remained constant at sixteen for the next three years and increased to eighteen in 1900. Throughout those years the baptized membership remained constant in the low fo rties. Holy Trinity at Conway suffered a steady decline in communicant members fr om twenty-nine in 1895 to only nineteen in 1901 with baptized membership holding i n the low thirties. Perhaps other reasons should be looked for in the demise of the l ast vestiges of those settlements. Col. Cadman died in 1910, leaving the Narcoossee co mmunity without a leader. Moreover, the residents slowly began moving to St. Cloud where business activities beckoned them. By 1921 the congregation ceased to e xist. At Conway the Cary-Elwes family moved to Orlando sometime after the freeze, thereby depriving that community of its leadership. The membership at Holy Trinity slow ly declined until it ceased to function in the mid-twenties. In 1938 the church was sold to the Conway Methodist Church. It in turn sold it to an Eastern Orthodox congregation wh ich moved the building to a site north of Maitland and still uses it today as a house of w orship. It seems that the Boer War and the coming of the First World War which drained off the most able residents who had retained their military commissions, the advent of the automobile, and the boom and bust View of the Rogers Building in Orlando, 1979. This building housed the English Club. (Courtesy of the Orange County Historical Museum.)
of Florida's economy in the twenties all helped to write an end to those English congregations and the communities they represented. In light of the number of English immigrants and th eir achievements it would be difficult to underestimate the impact they had on t he society of Central Florida and its heritage. Their contribution to the folklore of the area is pervasive, whether it be stories about their attitudes to American institutions, the ir out of the ordinary activities, or their response to the "Big Freeze." There is a story that some of them fled their homes so precipitately after the freeze that they left their tables set and the food uneaten. When that story is heard repeatedly from Chetwynd to Narcooss ee, one wonders from what they were fleeing, the cold or the food. Their contribution to architecture can still be see n in the Victorian style homes that still dot the area and in the "carpenter" gothic of their churches. Holy Trinity Chetwynd is now officially listed on The National Register of H istoric Places. In 1935 St. Peter's of Narcoossee was dismantled piece by piece, carried t o St. Cloud and rebuilt, where today it serves as the sanctuary for St. Luke and St. Pet er. Their contribution to the Protestant Episcopal Chur ch has been immense. Without them there would have been no churches in Chetwynd, Narcoossee, Conway, Lane Park, and Mountclair, and the congregations in Orlando, M aitland, St. Cloud, Kissimmee, and Leesburg would have had to struggle much longer wit hout their support. Undoubtedly their numbers throughout the east-west corridor has tened the creation of the Diocese of South Florida. Their contribution as individual Englishmen should not be ignored. The talented members of the Bosanquet family have developed new varieties of flowers and have created sculptured works of unusual quality. In Orl ando, William Beardall, Joseph Bumby, T. Picton Warlow, Algernon Haden, Henry Swee tapple, Charles Lord, and Harold Bourne have given much to make that communit y a better place to live. Some of the younger immigrants such as William E. Cadman of Narcoossee and Francis Cecil Baylis and Herbert Cary-Elwes of Conway entered the priesthood and served churches in the Central Florida area. One would be hard pressed to discuss the development of the area without touching upon the English and their se ttlements, for its history would be much less exciting and its heritage much poorer wit hout them.
The 14th Colony: British Florida, 1763-1783 by J. Leitch Wright, Jr. ONE GOOD THING emerging from the Bicentennial was t hat many-though assuredly not all Floridians finally discovered w hat flag was flying over the State in 1776. It, of course, was not that of the United Sta tes, nor of Spain, but of Britain. Florida was on the wrong side-containing a nest of Tories! In 1776 American Patriots in Florida, attempting to celebrate the Fourth of July or the Battle of Bunker Hill, would have been imprisoned, tarred and feathered, or worse. To state that 20th Century Florida differs from that of '76 begs the obvious. Even so, it is important to keep in mind that in a variety of ways, some of which we tend to forget, the earlier Florida was not the same as that of today. Take the boundaries. We do not normally think of Mobile, Baton Rouge, and Natchez as belonging to Florida, but in 1776 they did. Compounding the confusion was that during the Revolution there was not one but two Floridas: British East Florida with its capital at St. Augustine and its western boundary the Apalachi cola River; and British West Florida whose capital was Pensacola and which extended to t he Mississippi River. Though small, the population of the Floridas was as heterogeneous as one might imagine, and the diverse inhabitants spoke English dialects from the mother country, Scottish with a pronounced brogue, Parisian French, or the patois which had evolved in Louisiana, gutteral German, Choctaw, Creek, Hitchiti, Mandingo, Fulani, and so on. The mixed free population did not have a lot in common except being attracted to the lands and commercial opportunities in the Floridas and the fact that, though grumbling about George III's and Parliament's measures, they really did not want to revolt and throw in their lot with Patrick Henry and Sam Adams. Reasons why they remained loyalists (Tories) varied. Many in the Floridas were in the army and on the civil list, fully comprehending who was buttering their bread. From provincial governors down to humble pack-horsemen in the Indian trade, Scots were numerous and conspicuo us in the Floridas. For reasons still The Tampa Bay area was virtually uninhabited at the time Britain ruled Florida. The Bay is seen here in a 1777 chart by English cartographer Thomas Jeffreys. British East Florida centered around St. Augustine, which was the capital and chief population center of the colony. The town is seen here in a 1777 plan by Thomas Jeffreys.
somewhat confusing to historians, Scots in the Flor idas and wherever they were found in America tended to be fiercely loyal to the crown. F rench and Minorcan Catholics comprised a significant portion of the population, feeling they could trust George III's government more than that of the new United States, so many of whose leaders were militant Puritan-Presbyterian types. Indians regard ed the Florida loyalists, who supplied them with trading goods, as less a threat to their lands than the Americans, while Blacks, another large group, in general did not care whethe r Tory or Patriot white slaveowners won out. But toward the end of the Revolution it be came more obvious if able-bodied Blacks were willing to fight they had a far better chance of winning freedom by serving George III than George Washington. All of this discussion has little relevance for the Tampa Bay area for the simple reason that in 1776 nobody was around. To be sure t his is an exaggeration but not by much. A few remnant Indians, perhaps Caloosas, were in the general region, occasionally trading with Spanish fishermen who from time to tim e sailed up the west coast from Cuba. Just before 1763 when Spain lost Florida, she had ambitious plans for Tampa Bay, envisioning it as the major port for thriving cattl e-agricultural-timber settlements in the Suwannee River Valley, perhaps even replacing St. A ugustine as the capital. Around 1800 an increasing number of Creeks from Alabama an d Georgia retired to the Floridas where almost immediately they became known as Semin oles, some of them settling about Tampa Bay. In time the Americans, to deal with thes e Seminoles, built Fort Brooke. Although Spain, Britain, the United States, and eve n France well understood that Tampa Bay contained an excellent undeveloped harbor, the fact remains that in 1776 a census taker here would not have had to reorder his forms. TAMPA BAY, of course, lay in East Florida, not that the British governor in Saint Augustine gave this much thought. The settled part of East Florida was on the Atlantic Coast with the ocean on the east, the St. Johns Riv er on the west, the northern limit the St. Marys River, and New Smyrna near the southern e xtremity. Indians had ceded this area and prominent land speculators and humble folk from the mother country and the American colonies expectantly arrived in the provin ce, those of means bringing with them white indentured servants or Negro slaves to d evelop their holdings. This area of colonization, with St. Augustine near its center, was the productive part of East Florida, like Georgia and South Carolina to the north, producing rice, indigo, naval stores, and, in the case of Florida, citrus. Indians scattered throughout the province, though principally concentrated in Alachua, sold de erskins and furs. Britons with influence in London were the ones who usually obtained the choicest grants of twenty thousand or more acres. One such p romoter was Richard Oswald, a merchant and slave trader, with far flung interests in the West Indies, Africa and, after 1763, at Mount Oswald on the Tomoka River well belo w St. Augustine. Oswald was a friend and had business dealings with many prominen t Americans, including Henry Laurens of South Carolina and Benjamin Franklin of Pennsylvania. After the defeat at Yorktown in 1781, the new British government asked Oswald to renew contacts with his American friends and serve as a diplomat in conclud ing a peace treaty. Oswald left his mark on the final settlement, but during the negoti ations he was never so friendly to the Americans as to want to turn over East Florida to t hem or to Spain. He wanted to keep the province and Mount Oswald. As it turned out, Sp ain acquired East Florida, and so many of the large plantations like Oswald's at Moun t Oswald and John Turnbull's at New
Smyrna failed and were abandoned. When Spain reoccupied East Florida after 1783 the p rimary settled area continued to be around St. Augustine. Like their British predece ssors, Spaniards manifested a peripheral interest in Tampa Bay, in a general way comprehending its potential. But not until long after the United States acquired Florida in 1821, in the late 19th Century during the era of Henry Plant, the expatriate Cuban cigar makers, and Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders, would this potential be realized.
Associates' Events & Activities Now that our summer hiatus is over, we have an acti ve program of events planned for Fall Quarter. No less than three major activities a re scheduled to take place before the new year. We hope that each of our members will fin d time to attend what promises to be a notable series of events. Third Annual Associates Book Sale As we go to press, preparations for the annual Libr ary Associates book sale are nearly complete. Since this issue of Ex Libris will probably not reach our readers until after the sale, (November 4-6), a full report on the sale wil l be carried in the next (Winter) issue. Although the 1979 sale will most likely be over by the time you read this, it still won't be too late to make a meaningful contribution of bo oks. We begin preparing for the next sale the minute the doors close on the current one. The annual book sale is a major source of support for our programs, and we can always use donations of unwanted books. With inflation to account for (as well as expanded progr ams), we will be counting on the help of all our friends to make next year's sale the big gest and best yet. If you have books you don't need, please call us at 974-2731 for informat ion relative to donations. Charlene Garry and the Basilisk Press Our program scheduled for November 15 will feature an address by Charlene Garry, founder of the Basilisk Press, London. Now recogniz ed as the premier private press in Europe, the Basilisk Press has been publishing fine limited editions since 1974. Ms. Garry will speak on fine printing in general, and o n her own press in particular, accompanying her remarks with both slides and actua l specimens of Basilisk publications. Among the publications present will b e the very first copy of Basilisk's latest work, an exquisite illustrated edition of De foe's Robinson Crusoe. Ms. Garry will speak at two sessions. The first wil l be held in the Special Collections reading room at 2:00 p.m. and will be slanted towar d the interests of libraries and librarians. There will also be an evening session w ith the emphasis toward the interests of collectors and other lovers of fine books. Marjorie Stoneman Douglas Program One of Florida's most distinguished writers, Marjor ie Stoneman Douglas, is to be guest of honor at a Library Associates reception pl anned to take place before the end of 1980. Mrs. Douglas, perhaps best known for her clas sic work, The Everglades, River of Grass, had originally planned to visit USF in October. A t rip to Argentina in connection with her research on William Henry Hudson (author o f Green Mansions), however, forced postponement of this event. A definite date for the Associates reception for Mrs. Douglas will be announced as soon as we receive her revised schedule. Accompanying Mrs. Douglas will be Mrs. Manton E. Harwood, curato r of the David O. True Collection of early Florida maps. The True Collection comprise s the personal cartographic materials of the late David O. True, noted authority on early Florida cartography. Future Events and Activities Planning is well advanced for a number of programs to take place later in the 1979-80
academic year. A new annual event will be a contest for the best student book collection at USF, in the tradition of the contests sponsored by the Library some years ago. The current contest plan is the result of more than a y ear's study, involving a systematic survey of the nation's academic libraries by Associ ates Board members, Mr. Bruce Fleury and Dr. Fred Pfister. At present the contest is pla nned for the early spring. Further details will be announced in future issues of Ex Libris. As a side note, the results of the survey conducted by Mr. Fleury and Dr. Pfister will shortl y be appearing as an article in a nationally distributed professional library journal . Other events planned for this year are a repeat of last year's highly successful book evalua tion session and the annual Special Collections Open House/ General Meeting, which will probably take place in March. Tentatively planned are a workshop-type program on care and repair of books and a number of speaker-programs on various topics. All i n all, we can look forward to an active, interesting and educational year. About This Issue Being faced with two very long (but, as we hope you will agree, worthwhile) articles, we decided that rather than abbreviate them we woul d expand Ex Libris so that we could print them in their entirety. Thus this "Summer/Fal l" issue of double our usual bulk. We hope that our fellow members of the Library Associa tes will approve of the result. With the double issue we return to our regular publicati on schedule. The Winter issue will be reaching you early in the new year. A pleasant holi day season to all from the staff of Ex Libris. And About Our Membership Those of us who have participated in the developmen t of the Library Associates from its early days as the "Friends of the Library" are beginning to feel that, as an organization, we have "arrived." With an expanding, supportive me mbership, an active program, and (how modest we are!) a rather decent publication di stributed as far away as California and London (England), we can't help but feel please d at the distance we've come. So much for complacency. The fact is, although much has been accomplished through the hard work of our officers and members, there ar e many more people in our community who haven't been exposed to the Associate s than have. What we've been able to accomplish towards achieving our goals is nothin g to what we could do if even half of Tampa's book lovers joined in our efforts. We urgen tly need your help in spreading word of the Associates and its activities to people who would enjoy participating. With what appears to be a long-term drought of Stat e library funds setting in, now more than ever our library needs the help of all it s friends if it is to become the kind of resource we want for our community. If you know of anyone who might be interested in becoming an Associate, please tell them about us. W e'll be happy to send membership information on request. Remember, the University is a resource for everyone! Special Collections Books at the Tampa Museum VISITORS to the excellent new Tampa Museum have pro bably noticed the four cases of 19th Century books forming part of the Museum s current exhibit. Entitled "Romantic America," the exhibit consists of paintings and oth er art works from the middle decades of the 19th Century, including book art. Most of th e books displayed are on loan from the
USF Library, and these were selected from the Speci al Collections Department's 19th Century American Literature and Early American Text book collections. The display of books from our collection in association with art w orks loaned by such distinguished institutions as the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Smithsonian, and the Museum of American Folk Art is an indication of the importanc e of the support given to our library by the Associates. We would like to urge all our me mbers to visit Tampa's new museum; it is an institution our community can be proud of.
Soap: Victorian Style by Arline T. King HERBERT had a row with his father and left home. Tr avis went to Italy after David told him something mysterious about Renata. Gregory died while studying for the priesthood in Rome. John overheard Stephanie chew o ut Ted for not keeping Todd away from Wendy. Percy's mother opposed his marriage to Agnes when she learned that Agnes would not inherit a large fortune. Janet refused Jo hn's request to call a board meeting about Ted's gambling. Gerald's illegitimate daughte r eloped with Robert causing her grandfather to suffer a heart attack. Tony led Davi d to a village where David found Renata's birth records. Can you identify which sentences describe action fr om A Search for Tomorrow, soap opera, and which are from A Search for a Secret, Victorian novel by George Alfred Henty, British writer of 19th Century books for boy s? G. A. Henty wrote several adult novels which were considered dismal failures at the time. Perhaps they were just ahead of their time. The plot from A Search for a Secret could be reworked into several episodes for the soap operas of today Only the dialogue and names of characters would need to be changed. Personal names do give a clue as to which are from the Victorian novel. Had they been changed to popular names of today, the pu zzle might indeed have been difficult. Of the eight sentences in the first para graph, the first, third, fifth, and seventh describe incidents from A Search for a Secret. The even numbered ones were taken verbatim from "On the Soaps," Tampa Tribune, September 1, 1979. Anyone who recognized the value of Henty's novels would have v ery valuable collector's items today. In Henty's own words, "I wrote two novels, then no other book for some time."1 These were, A Search for a Secret, 1867, and All But Lost, 1869. Bradley's More Gold In Your Attic, published in 1961, lists All But Lost as being sold for $1,200 to collector P P Mosley. The Sotheby sale February 21, 1972 lists A Search For a Secret as being sold for $1,463 and All But Lost for $1,886. He tried the adult novel field again some thirty years later, but had no better success. In all Henty wrote about 11 novels, five of them being triple deckers. The USF collection of Henty's works includes four of the multivolume titles. One missing title is Gabriel Allen , 1888 , and the triple decker missing is Dorothy's Double, which is in the collection, but in a one volume format. The University of South Florida's Hentyana collection was started with the fine collection of James Baird Herndon, who died in January, 1953. (He also willed a cookbook c ollection to Cornell University.) The George Alfred Henty 1832-1902
Henty collection was given to USF in 1961 by his br other Vernon Herndon of Chicago through the efforts of William B. Poage, a Henty co llector from his childhood until his death several years ago. Mr. Poage's collection was acquired partly through the assistance of Margaret Chapman, USF's first Special Collection s Librarian. It contained four of the very valuable triple decker adult novels: Rujub the Juggler, The Queen's Cup, All But Lost, and A Search for a Secret. Among other important items are first editions of m any of Henty's works, including Out on the Pampas, Henty's first book for boys. The three volume novel, All But Lost, was presented to "Agnes Henty from her affectionate cousin, G. A. Henty." The story in A Search for a Secret was told from the first person viewpoint of Agnes Ashleigh. HENTY was born December 8, 1832, at Trumpington nea r Cambridge, England. He was the eldest of the three children of James Henty , stockbroker, and Mary Bovill, daughter of Dr. Edwards, a physician. When the Crimean War started, Henty withdrew from C aius College, Cambridge, and with his brother, Frederick, went to the Crimea in 1855 as members of the hospital commissariat. Frederick died later in the year from cholera. The Crimean experience gave him a taste of both sol diering and journalism. Henty contributed articles to the Morning Advertiser and later to the Evening Standard as a special war correspondent. He traveled in many part s of the world including Abyssinia, France, Spain, India, Serbia, Sardinia, and Califor nia. He was decorated for distinguished service at Sebastapol. He is best remem-bered for some eighty books written for boys based on his experiences. Henty was one of the most popular and influential writers of boys' stories of his age. His stories were full of action and excitement so that the young reader could enjoy them as "rattling good yarns" while painlessly, almost unconsciously, absorbing the real life history in them. Henty's work is distinguished for its comparative sobriety, its clear style, and that quality to which Henty proudly referred as "manly tone." George Manville F enn wrote, "Henty taught more lasting history to boys than all the school masters of his generation."2 He was editor of the Union Jack and contributed short stories to many other periodi cals and books of short stories. Other than newspaper articles, one of his earliest published articles was "Camp Life in Abyssinia" which appeared in Cornhill Magazine in 1868. Although he was not given author credit in the magazine. This fact is a uthenticated by a photostatic copy of a letter from Henty to the Cornhill editor. His first book for boys, Out on the Pampas, was written in 1868, but not published until 1871. The characters in the story were named for the four Henty children, Charles, Hubert, Ethel, and Maud. The Henty family tree, inc luded here, was contributed by Mr. Roy Henty of England, a Sussex Henty but not relate d to G. A. Henty and the Honourable Secretary of The Henty Society. Many sources c onsider Beric the Briton his best book for boys. His last book, By Conduct and Courage, was published in 1905-the proofs HentyÂ’s 1888 In the Reign of Terror , a tale of the Frenc h Revolution, was issued in comic book format in July, 1957.
having been revised by Captain G. C. Henty, the onl y one of two sons and two daughters to survive him. He married Elizabeth Finucane in 18 56 and late in life married Elizabeth Keylock, who also survived him. He belonged to the following clubs: Savage; Sports; Royal Thames, and Royal Corinthian Yacht Clubs. He had been fond of sailing since his school days at Westminster and spent much of his later years aboard his yacht, Egret. He was aboard the Egret in Weymouth Harbor when he died, November 16,1902, at the age of seventy. The USF Henty collection is valuable for studying publishing practices of the 19th Century and the development of the copyright laws. One of the tricks of the trade was to date a book for the year after it was published, which is similar to the practice of selling 1980 cars in the Fall of 1979. Many of the Henty titles published by Blackie & Son in London were dated in this manner, and the same title published by Scribner's in America was dated in the actual year of publication, making the American books appear to be first editions, when in fact the Blackie publica tion was the first edition, for those published before the International Copyright Law of 1891. Another thing that made "hunting for Henty's" interesting was the pirating of books before the copyright laws were in effect. Publishers would reprint the book, bring out a cheaper edition, and capitalize on the popularity of the author. Sometim es these had different titles and sometimes the pictures were from a completely diffe rent title. The same pictures are in Boy Knight and Friends Though Divided; the stories are different. Winning His Spurs is the same story as Boy Knight and Fighting the Saracens. SOME of the collectors spent years trying to track down titles that were listed in
periodicals of the day as forthcoming titles, but t he title was changed before publication. The research resources of a large library would hav e been helpful in such a search. Most of Henty's books are listed in the English Catalog of Books, which helps to clear up publication dates. There are some misleading dates used in very reputable sources however, both the Dictionary of National Biography3 and the Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature4 list 1868 as the publication date of Henty's first book for boys, Out on the Pampas. Dartt5 in his bibliography lists 1871 (the date in the boo k). The English Catalog of Books 1863-1872 6 gives 1870 as the publication date. Edward Stratemeyer used the pseudonym of D. T. Henty when he wrote Malcolm the Water Boy or, The Mystery of Old London, published in 1896, to capture some of the Henty market. He also used many other well known names for the same purpose. It is interesting to note in the personal catalog' of Mr. James Baird Herndon the wild goose chase this caused the collectors. The following notations were made under Malcolm the Water Boy: "Malcolm the Water Boy." Publ. 1901. Listed by Prof. W W. Puttkammer 12/11/50. "Knott via Forgy (6/8/51) notes: Malcolm the Water Boy or the Mystery of Old London. London. 1. Bright Days No. 16 1896 by D. T. Henty. 2. Malcolm the Water Boy, by "A. Henty" (Chicago do ubt if by Henty. ) Poage 8/9/51 says this is by D.T. Henty. 4/15/52 Sa w this copy at Poage's. Malcolm the Waterboy or, A Mystery of Old London by D. T. Henty. Mershon & Co., 1900 Rahway, N.J. The United States Catalog8 lists E.L.S. as a pseudonym for G. A. Henty but it is for Stratemeyer. it was the listing of Malcolm the Water Boy by A. Henty that probably contributed to the error. During the 19th Century, magazine articles were oft en published anonymously so it is quite a feat to track down the contributions by Hen ty. In the collection is a photostatic copy of a letter to the editor of the Cornhill Magazine which authenticates the authorship of "Camp Life in Abyssinia," one of Henty's earlies t published articles other than his contributions to the London Standard. Some interest has been expressed in the illustrator s of G. A. Henty's books. One of the most famous was Arthur Rackham, who illustrated Brains and Bravery, a collection of short stories, including four by Henty Included with this article is an alphabetic listing of illustrators of Henty's single works where the i llustrator has been identified on the title page. Interest in Henty's work has continued throughout t he years both in Britain and America. This is well illustrated by the fact that British Books in Print,9 1978, still lists nine of his titles. The Reign of Terror was published in comic book format in the Publishers sometimes illustrated HentyÂ’s novels with pictures from a completely different title. As seen here, the frontpiece from a story about the English Civil War was anachronistically paire d with a tale of the Crusades.
Illustrated Classic Series, and is part of the USF collection. Many of his titl es were published in foreign language editions as well. Uni versal Pictures negotiated with Scribner, Blackie & Son, and the Henty estate for t he film rights for A Final Reckoning. One of his last manuscripts was based on the Irish question and was considered so inflamatory that it was sent to an Irish consultant for an opinion before publication. Evidently it was considered too controversial as it never appeared in print. There have been two bibliographies of the works of G. A. Henty. The first by R. S. Kennedy and B. J. Farmer, Bibliography of G. A. Henty & Hentyana; (ca. 1958), and the second by Captain Robert L. Dartt, G. A. Henty, a Bibliography, 1971, and A Companion to G. A. Henty, a Bibliography, 1972. A third is in the planning stage by The Henty Society. Officers are: President, The Most Honourab le the Marquess of Bath; and, Honourable Secretary, Roy Henty, 60 Painswick Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. It will build on earlier works, but will be more detai led and extensive. Anyone interested in learning more about the Henty Society and its work may write to Mr. Henty at the above address. The Henty Society Bulletin, No. 8, June, 1979, contains an excellent article by Kenneth W. Porter, "G. A. Henty and 'Bryher': Briti sh Historical Novelists" as well as a poem by G. A. Henty, "The Strange Tale of a Buck-Ba sket," printed through the kind permission of Henty's granddaughter, Mrs. Kathleen E. Packard. Footnotes 1. Knight, George. "When I Was a Boy; an afternoon talk with G. A. Henty." The Captain. August, 1899, pp. 3-8. 2. Fenn, G. Manville, George Alfred Henty: a story of an active life. London: Blackie, 1907. 3. Dictionary of National Biography. London: Oxford University Press, 1922. 4. Bateson, F. W. (ed.) The Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature. N.Y: Cambridge University Press, 1941. 5. Dartt, Robert L. G. A. Henty, a bibliography. Cedar Grove, N. J.: Dar-Web, 1971. 6 . The English Catalogue of Books. (1863-1872) N.Y: Kraus Reprint Corp., 1963. 7. Herndon, James Baird. Unpublished personal catal og of Henty collection. 8. United States Catalog: books in print, 1902. 2nd ed. Minneapolis, Minn.: H. W. Wilson. 9. British Books in Print. London: J. Whitaker & Sons Ltd., 1978.
G. A. Henty and His Works A Selected Bibliography Adams, Bess Porter. About Books and Children; a historical survey. New York: Holt, 1953. Allibone, Samuel Austin. A Critical Dictionary of English Literature..., Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1858-91. 5 vols. American Book Prices Current ...1895. (Publisher varies. Annual). The Athenaeum (London). "Mr. George Alfred Henty," Nov. 22, 1902, p. 683. Barnhart, Clarence L., and Halsey, William D. (eds. ). The New Century Handbook of English Literature. New York: Appleton Century-Crofts, Inc., 1956. Bateson, F. W. (ed.). The Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature. New York: Cambridge University Press, 1941.4 vols. Bradley, Van Allen. More Gold in Your Attic. New York: Fleet, 1961. British Books in Print. London: J. Whitaker & Sons Ltd., 1978. British Museum. General Catalogue of Printed Books to 1955. London: Printed by the Trustees of the British Museum, 1959. Carter, John Carter. "Sadleir Rides Again," AB Bookmans Weekly, 46; 1364-6. November 9, 1970. Coffin, Louis. "George Alfred Henty; a bibliographi cal study of Henty and his writings for boys." Bulletin of Bibliography, XIX (May-August, 1949), pp. 241-243. Darton, F. J. Harvey. Children's Books in England. Cambridge: The University Press, 1958. Dartt, Robert L. A Companion to G.A. Henty Typescript, 1972. ---. G. A. Henty, A Bibliography Cedar Grove, N.J.: Dar-Web., 1971. Davies, Godfrey. "G.A. Henty and History." Huntington Library Quarterly, XVIII (February, 1955), pp. 159-167. Dictionary of National Biography. Edited by Leslie Stephen and Sidney Lee. London: Oxford University Press, 1922. 22 vols. Supplement s 1901-1911, 1912-1921, 1922-1930, 1931-1940, 1941-1950. Dietz, Howard. "Lyrics from a Lived in Life: Readin g 1910," Saturday Review, November 11, 1967, p. 8. Downey, Edmund. Twenty Years Ago; a book of anecdote illustrating l iterary life in London. London: Hurst and Blackett, 1905. The English Catalogue of Books. (1801-1947), N.Y: Kraus Reprint Corp., 1963. Everyman's Dictionary of Literary Biography, Englis h and American. Edited by David Clayton Browning. Rev. ed., London: Dent, 1962. Farmer, Bernard J. "Henty's Hundreds." The Amateur Book Collector, January February, 1953, p. 3. Fenn, G. Manville. George Alfred Henty; a story of an active life. London: Blackie, 1907. Ford, Harvey S. "G.A. Henty." The Saturday Review of Literature, March 2, 1940, pp. 3-4,16-17. Green, Roger Lancelyn. Tellers of Tales; childrens books and their authors , 1800 1964. London: Ward, 1963. Harvey, Sir Paul. Books, Children and Men. Boston: The Horn Book Press, 1944.
Henty, G. A. The Independent. "A Commission in the British Army." Nov. 29, 1900. "Henty, George Alfred." Encyclopedia Britannica, 11th ed., Vol. XIII. Illustrated London News. "Christmas Books for Boys and Girls." December 20, 1902. Jordan, Alice Mabel. From Rollo to Tom Sawyer. Boston: Horn Book, 1948. Knight, George. "When I Was A Boy; an afternoon talk with G. A. Henty." The Captain, August, 1899, pp. 3-8. Kunitz, Stanley J. British Authors of the Nineteenth Century. New York: H. W. Wilson, 1936. Meigs, Cornelia Lynde. A Critical History of Children's Literature; a survey from earliest times to the present. New York: Macmillan, 1953. Metzner, Seymour. American History in Juvenile Books; a chronological guide. New York: H. W. Wilson, 1966. Muir, Percy. English Children's Books. 1600-19 . London: Batsford, 1954. Naidis, Mark. "G. A. Henty's Idea of India." Victorian Studies, VIII (September, 1964), pp. 49-58. Pachon, Stanley A. "George Alfred Henty," in collab oration with William M. Burns, James E. Knott, W. B. Poage. Reckless Ralph's Dime Novel Round-Up, v. 16, no. 195: December 1948; v. 17, no. 196: January, 1949. "Portraits of G. M. Fenn and George A. Henty." The Bookman, October, 1902, p. 114. "Sketch of George A. Henty." (a word sketch) The Bookbuyer, July, 1888, pp. 237-238. Thwaite, M. F. From Primer to Pleasure. London: The Library Association, 1963. U.S. Catalog; books in print, 1902, 2d ed. Minneapolis: H.W. Wilson, 1903. U.S. Library of Congress. A Catalog of Books Represented by Library of Congre ss Printed Cards Issued to July 31, 1942. Ann Arbor, Mich.: Edwards Brothers, 1942-1946. 167 Vols. Supplement, 1941-1947, 1948, 42 vols. Vincent, Benjamin. A Dictionary of Biography, Past and Present; contai ning the chief events in the lives of eminent persons of all ages and nations. Preceded by the biographies and genealogies of the chief represent atives of the royal houses of the world. London: Ward, Lock & Co., 1877. Wayne, J. L. "Hunting Henty." Hobbies, November, 1944, pp. 101-102. The Westminster School Register. Edited by G. F. Russell and Alan H. Stenning. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1892. Who Was Who, 1897-1915, London: Adam & Charles Black, 1920.
Who Was Who. London: A. & C. Black, Ltd., 1929-1952. 4 vols. Unpublished Material: Charles Scribner's Sons. "Selected Letters." New Yo rk: 1889-1929. (Typewritten) Herndon, James Baird. A Catalog of the Works of G. A. Henty." Chicago: To 1952, (Typewritten). Kennedy, Roderick Stuart, and Farmer, Bernard J. Bibliography of G. A. Henty and Hentyana. London: 1956. (Mimeographed).
Illustrators of G. A. Henty Books Abbott, Elenore Plaisted The BrahminsÂ’ treasure Bird, Harington Yule logs Boucher, W. Courage and conflict Brock, H. M. Do your duty Brown, Maynard By pike and dyke Browne, Gordon Bonnie Prince Charlie By sheer pluck Facing death For name and fame Held fast for England In freedomÂ’s cause The lion of St. Mark Orange and green St. George for England True to the old flag Under DrakeÂ’s flag With Clive in India With Lee in Virginia With Wolfe in Canada Yule Tide Yarns Draper, H. J. St. BartholomewÂ’s eve Dugdale, T. C. In times of peril Ewan, Frances A soldierÂ’s daughter The two prisoners Henty Â’s novels were often issued in highly decorative bindings, as illustrated by the three shown here.
Feller, Frank In times of peril The young Franc-Tireurs Finnemore, J. When London burned Fowler, Robert Sturdy and strong Groome, W. H. C. Dash and daring Hazard and heroism Steady and strong Hardy, Paul A Jacobite exile Hindley, G. C. In the heart of the Rockies Holmes, T. W. John HawkeÂ’s fortune Hurst, Hal Through the Sikh War Jellicoe, J. In the hands of the Malays Kerr, Charles The curse of CarneÂ’s hold Landells, R. T. The young Franc-Tireurs Lange, Janet Des jeunes Francs-Tireurs Lillie, R. Do your duty Margetson, W. H. A march on London The tiger of Mysore With Cochrane the dauntless Miller, Wat In the hands of the cave dwellers Nash, Joseph Dash for Khartoum
Overend, W. H. A chapter of adventures On the Irrawaddy One of the 28th A tale of Waterloo Through Russian snows Paget, H. M. Bravest of the brave Captain BayleyÂ’s heir Through the fray Paget, Walter At Agincourt At the point of the bayonet Condemned as a nihilist Through three campaigns The treasurer of the Incas Under WellingtonÂ’s command With Frederick the Great With Moore at Corunna With the Allies to Pekin With the British legion Parkinson, W. Beric the Briton Peacock, Ralph Both sides of the border A knight of the white cross Wulf the Saxon Pearse, Alfred By EnglandÂ’s aid Maori and settler Redskin and cow-boy Petherick, H. The cornet of horse Only a hunchback The savage club papers Prater, Ernest The lost heir
Proctor, J. J. Yarns on the beach Rainey, William At Aboukir and Acre By conduct and courage Grit and go Out with Garibaldi A roving commission With Buller in Natal With Kitchener in the Soudan With Roberts to Pretoria Rackam, Arthur Brains and bravery Schonberg, John The dash for Khartoum In the reign of terror The lion of the north The young buglers Sheldon, Charles M. In the Irish brigade To Heart and Cabul Won by the sword Solomon, Solomon J. For the temple Spence, Percy F. S. A hidden foe Stacy, W. S. By right of conquest In Greek waters Staniland, C. J. The dragon and the raven The young Carthiginian Vedder, Simon H. The young colonist Weguelin, J. R. The cat of Bubastes
Weir, Harrison Those other animals Wollen, W. B. A final reckoning Wood, Stanley I. Colonel ThorndykeÂ’s secret No surrender! Rujub, the juggler Zwecker, J. B. Out on the Pampas
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA LIBRARY ASSOCIATES BOARD OF DIRECTORS Mrs. Dorothy Sullivan, President Mr. J. B. Dobkin, Executive Secretary Mrs. Barbara Dalby Mr. Arnold Kotler Mr. Michael Slicker Mr. Bruce Fleury Mrs. Lee Leavengood Mr. Richard S tein Mrs. Nancy Ford Ms. Jane Little Mr. A. Bronson Th ayer Mrs. Mary Lou Harkness Dr. Fred Pfister Mr. Willia m Zewadski Dr. William Scheuerle Any person who wishes to help in furthering the goa ls of the USF Library Associates is eligible to become a member. Regular, sustaining, p atron, corporate, and student memberships are available on an annual basis (Septe mber 1 to August 31). Student memberships are open only to regularly enrolled stu dents of the University of South Florida, and are valid only so long as the member r emains a regular USF student. Life memberships are also available to interested person s. Membership in the Associates includes a subscriptio n to Ex Libris, a journal of articles and news about Associates activities, libr ary developments, and other topics likely to be of interest to Bay area bibliophiles. The member is also entitled to attend all Associates functions and, in addition, is eligible for book loan privileges at the University Library, subject to prevailing library regulations. So, if you are interested in helping us to obtain a better library for the University and its community, and want to participate in the many services and activities offered to members by the Library Associates, please use the m embership blank below and become one of us today.