- Permanent Link:
- Frederick B. Karl papers
- Frederick B. Karl, 1924-
- Physical Description:
- 21.60 : (36 boxes) ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Florida -- Politics and government -- 20th Century ( lcsh )
Florida -- Officials and employees ( lcsh )
Hillsborough County (Fla.) ( lcsh )
- Scope and Content:
- The collection primarily consists of correspondence, reports, law review articles, directories, manuals, budget statements, photographs, scrapbooks, and videos.
- Preferred Citation:
- Frederick B. Karl Papers, Special Collections Department,Tampa Library, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.
- Frederick B. Karl
- Frederick Karl was born on May 14, 1924 in Daytona Beach Florida to Fred J. Karl and Mary Karl. He earned an undergraduate degree from University of Florida in 1942 and a law degree from Stetson University in 1949. In 1942, he enlisted in the army as a Private. At age 18 he was commissioned Second Lieutenant in Fort Knox, Kentucky. During his military service, he was Tank Platoon Leader in the 20th and 2nd Armored Divisions and was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star and Purple Heart metals. After receiving his law degree in 1949, he was employed by the Annis Mitchell Cockey Edwards & Roehn Law Firm. He practiced law in Florida and Federal Courts, including the Florida Supreme Court, and served as City Attorney for Ormond Beach, Daytona Beach, and Tampa. He also held positions as Chief Legal Officer and County Administrator for Hillsborough County, and as President/CEO of Tampa General Hospital. He served on various committees such as the State Board of Independent Colleges and Universities, Southern Regional Education Board, Florida State Board of Optometry, the Governor's Task Force for the Review of the Criminal Justice and Corrections Systems, and also as Chairman of the City of Tampa Ethics Commission. He was also involved in several community service organizations including the United Way of Hillsborough County, the Rotary Club of Tampa, the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce, the Board of Overseers for Stetson University College of Law, and the Museum of Science and Industry. Mayor Pam Iorio named April 16, 2008 Frederick B. Karl day.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at http://www.copyright.gov/ for more information.
- Resource Identifier:
- K02 ( USFLDC CID )
u29.129-k02-ead ( USFLDC Handle )
- Mixed Material