USF Libraries

Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records

CLICK HERE TO REQUEST PHYSICAL COLLECTION ITEMS FOR USE IN USF TAMPA LIBRARY SPECIAL COLLECTIONS READING ROOM ( Related URL )
MISSING IMAGE

Material Information

Title:
Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records
Physical Description:
0.63 : (2 boxes) ;
Language:
English
Creator:
Latin Quarter Art Gallery

Subjects

Subjects / Keywords:
Art -- Florida -- Tampa -- Exhibitions   ( lcsh )
Ybor City (Tampa, Fla.)   ( lcsh )
Genre:
ead   ( sobekcm )

Notes

Scope and Content:
The records of the Latin Quarter Art Gallery consist of correspondence, exhibition and sale agreements, newsletters, press releases, schedules, programs, planning information, financial records, notes, reports, and ephemera. Requests for financial assistance are also included, as well as appraisal, insurance, and sales information for an oil painting entitled "Friedland, 1807."
Preferred Citation:
Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records, Special Collections Department, Tampa Library, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.
Acquisition:
Trust for Public Land
Biographical:
The Latin Quarter Art Gallery was established by the Ybor City Chamber of Commerce in January of 1968 with the purpose of providing opportunities for artists to display their work, as well as making art and cultural events easily accessible to the public. Intending to attract positive attention to Tampa's Latin Quarter during the period of urban renewal, the gallery organized a variety of events, including group shows, collaborative exhibitions, festivals, invitationals, and open competitions. The gallery also hosted exhibitions by local colleges, universities, and other arts organizations. At this time, special events were assisted by Las Damas de Arte, a local organization of women committed to promoting the gallery and its objectives. In the early 1970s, a donation from Tampa philanthropist Frank A. Weaner made possible the opening of new facilities for the Frank A. Weaner Latin Quarter Art Gallery, but lack of community support forced the gallery to close its doors in the early 1980s. Las Damas de Arte, however, continue to promote the arts by means of scholarships, workshops, and exhibitions.
Ownership:
The records in this collection were part of a body of records stored in the old Centro Español building in Ybor City.  This body of material included records from the Ybor City Chamber of Commerce, Barrio Latino Commission, and Ybor City Rotary Club.  The records were apparently left in the building at the time the Centro Español club moved out in 1983.  The records were transferred to USF Special Collections in March, 1990 by the Trust for Public Land at the same time as the Centro Español de Tampa Records.

Record Information

Source Institution:
University of South Florida Library
Holding Location:
University of South Florida
Rights Management:
None.  The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright.  Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at [url=http://www.copyright.gov/%C2%A0]http://www.copyright.gov/[/url] for more information.
Resource Identifier:
usfldc doi - L03
usfldc handle - u29.149-l03-ead
System ID:
SFS0031966:00001


This item is only available as the following downloads:


Full Text
ead audience external eadheader langencoding iso639-2b countryencoding iso3166-1 dateencoding iso8601 repositoryencoding iso15511 scriptencoding iso15924 relatedencoding MARC21
eadid encodinganalog 856$u mainagencycode US-FTS countrycode US identifier ArchonInternalCollectionID:199 L03
filedesc
titlestmt
titleproper 245 Guide to the Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records
type filing Latin Quarter Art Gallery
publicationstmt
p © Copyright 2011 USF Tampa Library Special & Digital Collections. All rights reserved.
date 260$c publication normal 2011-06-16 2011-06-16
address
addressline 4202 East Fowler Ave.
LIB122
Tampa, FL, 33620-5400
URL: http://www.lib.usf.edu/
Email: rbernard@usf.edu
Phone: 813-974-1622
Fax: 813-396-9006
profiledesc
creation 500 This finding aid was encoding in EAD by Archon 3.21 from an SQL database source on encoded 2013-04-04 April 4th, 2013.
langusage 546 The collection description/finding aid is written in language 041 langcode eng English
frontmatter
titlepage
Guide to the Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records
19681977 1968/1977
publisher 260$b USF Tampa Library Special & Digital Collections
archdesc level collection inventory
did
head Overview of the Collection
unittitle label Collection Title Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records unitdate Dates 245$f inclusive 1968-1977
unitid 035 Identification repositorycode L03
origination Creator 245$c
corpname 110 Latin Quarter Art Gallery source local role Collector Latin Quarter Art Gallery
physdesc Physical Description extent 300 Linear Feet 0.63
Alternate Extent Statement 300$a 2 boxes
langmaterial Language of Materials
English
repository 852$b Repository
USF Tampa Library Special & Digital Collections
4202 East Fowler Ave.
LIB122
Tampa, FL, 33620-5400
URL: http://www.lib.usf.edu/
Email: rbernard@usf.edu
Phone: 813-974-1622
Fax: 813-396-9006
note Note
Other Information:
ready
Additional information may be found at http://usfldc:U29-00149-L03
!--COLLECTION LEVEL METADATA: --
bioghist
altrender Historical 545$a Historical Note:
The Latin Quarter Art Gallery was established by the Ybor City Chamber of Commerce in January of 1968 with the purpose of providing opportunities for artists to display their work, as well as making art and cultural events easily accessible to the public. Intending to attract positive attention to Tampa's Latin Quarter during the period of urban renewal, the gallery organized a variety of events, including group shows, collaborative exhibitions, festivals, invitationals, and open competitions. The gallery also hosted exhibitions by local colleges, universities, and other arts organizations. At this time, special events were assisted by Las Damas de Arte, a local organization of women committed to promoting the gallery and its objectives. In the early 1970s, a donation from Tampa philanthropist Frank A. Weaner made possible the opening of new facilities for the Frank A. Weaner Latin Quarter Art Gallery, but lack of community support forced the gallery to close its doors in the early 1980s. Las Damas de Arte, however, continue to promote the arts by means of scholarships, workshops, and exhibitions.
Administrative History 545$b Administrative History:
The Latin Quarter Art Gallery was established by the Ybor City Chamber of Commerce in January of 1968 with the purpose of providing opportunities for artists to display their work, as well as making art and cultural events easily accessible to the public. Intending to attract positive attention to Tampa's Latin Quarter during the period of urban renewal, the gallery organized a variety of events, including group shows, collaborative exhibitions, festivals, invitationals, and open competitions. The gallery also hosted exhibitions by local colleges, universities, and other arts organizations. At this time, special events were assisted by Las Damas de Arte, a local organization of women committed to promoting the gallery and its objectives.  In the early 1970s, a donation from Tampa philanthropist Frank A. Weaner made possible the opening of new facilities for the Frank A. Weaner Latin Quarter Art Gallery, but lack of community support forced the gallery to close its doors in the early 1980s. Las Damas de Arte, however, continue to promote the arts by means of scholarships, workshops, and exhibitions.
!-- CONTROLLED ACCESS SUBJECT TERMS
controlaccess
Access Terms
This Collection is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Geographic Name:
geogname 651 lcnaf subject Ybor City (Tampa, Fla.)
Topical Term:
650 USFSpecCol Art -- Florida -- Tampa -- Exhibitions
END
ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION
descgrp
Administrative Information
acqinfo 541
Acquisition Information:
Donation
custodhist 561
Custodial History:
The records in this collection were part of a body of records stored in the old Centro Espaol building in Ybor City.  This body of material included records from the Ybor City Chamber of Commerce, Barrio Latino Commission, and Ybor City Rotary Club.  The records were apparently left in the building at the time the Centro Espaol club moved out in 1983.  The records were transferred to USF Special Collections in March, 1990 by the Trust for Public Land at the same time as the Centro Espaol de Tampa Records.
processinfo 583
Processing Information:
Complete.
accessrestrict 506
Conditions Governing Access:
None.  The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright.  Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at extref linktype simple show embed actuate onrequest href http:www.copyright.gov%C2%A0 http://www.copyright.gov/ for more information.
prefercite 524
Preferred Citation:
Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records, Special Collections Department, Tampa Library, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.
arrangement 351
Arrangement of Materials:
Records are arranged alphabetically by subject. Where discernible, materials pertaining to art shows or festivals have been filed by name of the event.
scopecontent
Scope and Contents
The records of the Latin Quarter Art Gallery consist of correspondence, exhibition and sale agreements, newsletters, press releases, schedules, programs, planning information, financial records, notes, reports, and ephemera. Requests for financial assistance are also included, as well as appraisal, insurance, and sales information for an oil painting entitled "Friedland, 1807."
COLLECTION METADATA
BEGIN SUBORDINATE COMPONENTS
dsc combined
Detailed List of Contents
c01 otherlevel
ArchonID internal id87247
container Box 1
c02 file
id87248
1
Folder 1
Art Fair -- Las Novedades Restaurant
id87249
1
2
Construction
id87250
1
3
Correspondence
1968-1969
id87251
1
4
Correspondence
1977-1978
id87252
1
5
Cultural Organizations
id87253
1
6
"Las Damas" Show
id87254
1
7
Exhibition and Sale Agreements (Assorted Shows)
id87255
1
8
Financial Information
id87256
1
9
Florida Fine Arts Guild Show
id87257
1
10
"Friedland, 1807" Painting Appraisal and Sale Information
id87258
1
11
"Friedland, 1807," Painting -- Insurance Informaiton
id87259
1
12
Gallery Schedule and Art Events (Assorted)
1973-1977
id87260
1
13
Giovanni Alessi Show (Artist Profile)
1977
id87261
1
14
News Releases
id87262
1
15
"La Pinata" Shows
1969-1971
id87263
1
16
October Show
1969
id87264
1
17
October Show
1970
id87265
1
18
October Show
1973
id87266
1
19
Operational Policies
id87267
1
20
Osceola Artists
1975
id87268
1
21
Planning
id87269
1
22
Press Photographers and Artists Show (Forms and Correspondence)
September 1972
id87270
1
23
Programming
id87271
1
24
Reports
id87272
1
25
Requests for Assistance
id87274
1
26
Six Artist Show
September 1970
id87275
1
27
Summer Art Festival
1969
id87276
1
28
Volunteer Correspondence and Scheduling
id87277
1
29
Ybor City Artists Show
id87278
2
item
id87279
2
Minute Book of the Latin Quarter Art Gallery




xml version 1.0 encoding UTF-8 standalone no
record xmlns http:www.loc.govMARC21slim xmlns:xsi http:www.w3.org2001XMLSchema-instance xsi:schemaLocation http:www.loc.govstandardsmarcxmlschemaMARC21slim.xsd
leader npcaa2200229 a 4500
controlfield tag 003 FTS
005 20140118101249.0
008 010101i19681977xxeng##
datafield ind1 8 ind2 024
subfield code a L03
099
L03
2 110
Latin Quarter Art Gallery
0 245
Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records
f 1968-1977
300
0.63
Linear Feet
b (2 boxes)
351
Records are arranged alphabetically by subject. Where discernible, materials pertaining to art shows or festivals have been filed by name of the event.
506
None.  The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright.  Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at [url=http://www.copyright.gov/%C2%A0]http://www.copyright.gov/[/url] for more information.
520
The records of the Latin Quarter Art Gallery consist of correspondence, exhibition and sale agreements, newsletters, press releases, schedules, programs, planning information, financial records, notes, reports, and ephemera. Requests for financial assistance are also included, as well as appraisal, insurance, and sales information for an oil painting entitled "Friedland, 1807."
524
Latin Quarter Art Gallery Records, Special Collections Department, Tampa Library, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.
541
Trust for Public Land
c Donation
d 1990
1 545
The Latin Quarter Art Gallery was established by the Ybor City Chamber of Commerce in January of 1968 with the purpose of providing opportunities for artists to display their work, as well as making art and cultural events easily accessible to the public. Intending to attract positive attention to Tampa's Latin Quarter during the period of urban renewal, the gallery organized a variety of events, including group shows, collaborative exhibitions, festivals, invitationals, and open competitions. The gallery also hosted exhibitions by local colleges, universities, and other arts organizations. At this time, special events were assisted by Las Damas de Arte, a local organization of women committed to promoting the gallery and its objectives. In the early 1970s, a donation from Tampa philanthropist Frank A. Weaner made possible the opening of new facilities for the Frank A. Weaner Latin Quarter Art Gallery, but lack of community support forced the gallery to close its doors in the early 1980s. Las Damas de Arte, however, continue to promote the arts by means of scholarships, workshops, and exhibitions.
561
The records in this collection were part of a body of records stored in the old Centro Espaol building in Ybor City.  This body of material included records from the Ybor City Chamber of Commerce, Barrio Latino Commission, and Ybor City Rotary Club.  The records were apparently left in the building at the time the Centro Espaol club moved out in 1983.  The records were transferred to USF Special Collections in March, 1990 by the Trust for Public Land at the same time as the Centro Espaol de Tampa Records.
650
Art -- Florida -- Tampa -- Exhibitions
651
Ybor City (Tampa, Fla.)
4 856
u http://digital.lib.usf.edu/?u29.149-l03-ead