- Permanent Link:
- Eva Martha Knapp German Prisoners of War in Florida collection
- Knapp, Eva Martha
- Physical Description:
- 0.83 : (2 boxes) ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Prisoner-of-war camps -- Florida ( lcsh )
Prisoners of war -- Germany ( lcsh )
World War, 1939-1945 -- Florida ( lcsh )
World War, 1939-1945 -- Prisoners and prisons, American ( lcsh )
Florida -- History, Military -- 20th century ( lcsh )
- Scope and Content:
- This collection consists of photocopies of material gathered by Ms. Knapp during her research into the history of the German prisoners of war held in Florida during World War II, including copies of official documents from the National Archives, correspondence with former German prisoners of war, photocopies of [i]Der P.O.W. Zeit-Spiegel[/i] (a mimeographed publication published at the Camp Blanding facility in 1945), and other materials.
- Preferred Citation:
- Eva Martha Knapp German Prisoners of War in Florida collection, Special Collections Department, Tampa Library, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.
- Eva Martha Knapp
- Eva Martha G. Knapp taught English at Hernando High School in Brooksville, Florida. During the 1991 to 1992 school year, her tenth grade English class read Betty Greene's novel [i]The Summer of My German Soldier[/i]. The students interviewed family members and acquaintances old enough to remember World War II about the possibility that German prisoners of war had been held in Pasco County. One result was a rumor that some German prisoners had worked at the Pasco Packing Company. Two students visited the company and found out from company executives that the rumor was based in fact. The class was able to locate some of the men who had been prisoners in Florida camps, and who had stayed in Florida after the war. The items in the collection are the result of the students' research efforts.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at [url=http://www.copyright.gov/%C2%A0]http://www.copyright.gov/[/url]for more information.
- Resource Identifier:
- K08 ( USFLDC CID )
u29.156-k08-ead ( USFLDC Handle )
- Mixed Material