- Permanent Link:
- Betty P. Brown Wiggins collection
- Wiggins, Betty P. Brown
- Physical Description:
- 8.76 : (21.00 boxes) ;
- Subjects / Keywords:
- African Americans -- Florida -- Tampa ( lcsh )
Printing industry -- Florida -- History ( lcsh )
- Scope and Content:
- This collection, which chronicles African American history in the Tampa Bay area, consists of materials produced by Betty P. Brown Wiggins and B.P. Brown Enterprises, Inc. for churches, schools, businesses, clubs, and fraternities and sororities. Includes souvenir program books, calendars, brochures, invitations, wedding programs, church offering envelopes, letterheads, stationary, business cards, funeral announcements, and advertising for Bethal Community Baptist Church, Middleton Senior High, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the National Council of Negro Women, the Tampa Housing Authority, and others.
- Preferred Citation:
- Betty P. Brown Wiggins Collection, Special Collections Department, Tampa Library, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida.
- Betty Brown Wiggins
- Betty P. Brown Wiggins received a bachelor's degree in English from Florida A&M University and a master's degree in education from the University of South Florida. During the 1950s she taught English at Booker T. Washington Junior High and Middleton Senior High. She also held a variety of managerial positions with General Electric before opening her own printing business, B.P. Brown Enterprises, Inc., in 1985. She participated in many organizations including the NAACP, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, and Progress Village Civic Council. She was a founder of the Suncoast Program to Increase Minority Engineering Graduates and served on the Tampa Bay Regional Planning Council and the Hillsborough County Citizens Advisory Committee. In 1998 she was elected to an interim position on the Tampa City Council.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- None. The contents of this collection may be subject to copyright. Visit the United States Copyright Office's website at [url=http://www.copyright.gov/%C2%A0]http://www.copyright.gov/[/url]for more information.
- Resource Identifier:
- W13 ( USFLDC CID )
u29.209-w13-ead ( USFLDC Handle )
- Mixed Material