- Permanent Link:
- Ceramic Box Lid (possibly from La Venta)
- Collins, Lori D.
Doering, Travis F.
Gonzalez, Jorge ( Modeler )
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Cultural Heritage ( lcsh )
Products And Technology ( local )
Science, Nature, and Education ( local )
3D Model ( Format/Resource Type )
Archaeology ( lcsh )
Education ( lcsh )
Formativeperiod ( local )
Laser scanning ( local )
Mexico ( lcsh )
Olmecs ( lcsh )
- This box lid was laser scanned as part of a collaboration project with the The Centro de Investigación de las Culturas Olmeca y Maya (CICOM) museum and the Museo Regional de Antropología Carlos Pellicer Cámarain, Mexico. The basal portion of the box was displayed with the lid and also has continuation of incised lines noted on the front of the lid.
A personage is depicted on the piece with ear spools and pierced buccal region. Red pigment and scrape marks are evidenced on the surface of the ceramic piece. A tripartite motif with maize iconographic elements are present in the headdress, and there are similarities to several celt carvings from La Venta, and to a contorsonist shown on a low relief carved panel from the South Coast of Guatemala, that was described by Parsons (1986:121) as being Late Olmec (900 to 700 B.C.). Fingerprint swirls are noted across the surface on this piece.
Collins and Doering laser scanning, Collins and Jorge Gonzalez 3D modeling.
- General Note:
- Hashtags: 3dmodeling, archaeology, education, formativeperiod, laserscanning, mexico, olmec
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- All applicable rights reserved by the source institution and holding location.
- Resource Identifier:
- U44-00017 ( USFLDC DOI )
u44.17 ( USFLDC Handle )
f72392459c3d4895acd2bfa2fadcb061 ( Sketchfab:DataUID )