- Printed plays, play scripts, and scores. The materials in this collection include printed plays, play scripts, and scores which Boucicault wrote between 1843 and 1887. Each folder provides the title of the play and the date of its creation, as well as notes about the materials, including the location of the performances, such as New York, Philadelphia or London, and details about the scripts. (Summary)
- Resource Identifier
- 028781694 (ALEPH)
- 50647113 (OCLC)
- BOUCICAULT (USFLDC AGGCODE)
- Boucicault, Dion, 1820-1890 (Boucicault, Dion)
- Dion Boucicault theater collection, Special Collections Department, Tampa Library, University of South Florida. (Preferred Citation)
- Some material is also available online. (Additional Physical Form)
- Actor, playwright. Dion Boucicault, a popular Irish-American 19th century playwright and actor, reached the zenith of his career during the period 1850-1870. (Biographical)
- Physical Description
- 20 boxes : ;
- Mixed Material
- Subjects / Keywords
- Dramatists (lcsh)
- Theater -- Production and direction -- New York (State) -- New York (lcsh)
- Theater -- Production and direction -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia (lcsh)
- Theater -- Production and direction -- England -- London (lcsh)
- Dion Boucicault theatre collection
- Alternate Title
- Dion Boucicault theater collection (Portion of title)
- Boucicault theatre collection (Portion of title)
- Boucicault, Dion theatre collection (Portion of title)
- Mixed Material
Rights and Access
Dion Boucicault Theatre Collection, 1843-1847
Dion Boucicault (1820-1890) was a prolific and innovative playwright, actor, producer, manager, and director of the 19th-century, English-speaking stage. By his own account, he wrote, directed, and acted in 250 plays, many of which were wildly popular in Ireland, England, Australia, and the U.S. A virtuoso at pleasing audiences, Boucicault developed many conventions of melodrama that shaped American drama for generations. He not only influenced his contemporaries, but also brought important social and cultural issues of historical significance to the stage.
The Dion Boucicault Theatre Collection primarily contains manuscript and printed plays. The collection consists of approximately 781 items, including printed and manuscript play scripts, sides, stage directions, letters, and musical scores. The collection also includes set design sketches, prompt books, photographs and select musical segments.
Currently ten of the plays are online. The content for each play is included it its own sub-collection.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.