Earl R. Jacobs III Collection of Francis G. Wagner's St. Petersburg Photographs
This collection documents the growth of St Petersburg from the 1920's to the 1960's. Photographer Francis G. Wagner [1891-1975], a native of Tontogany, Ohio, came to St. Petersburg in the winter of 1914. He opened St Petersburg's first camera store, the Strand Camera Shop at 9 Second Street in 1916. The Wagners sold the Strand Camera Shop to employee Charlie E. Jones in 1963 and Jones closed the shop around 1980. The space was rented to various businesses over the years. Hired in April 1984 to clean out the storage loft, Earl R. Jacobs, III found and preserved more than one thousand negatives, which he later donated to USF Libraries Special Collections.