A new view on karst genesis
- Permanent Link:
- A new view on karst genesis
- Series Title:
- Carbonates and Evaporites
- Radulovic, Milan M.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Karst Genesis ( local )
Landforms ( local )
New Hypothesis ( local )
Dinarides ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Karst terrains and their specific landforms, such as sinkholes and caves, have been thoroughly studied from the second half of the nineteenth century. However, karst genesis remains a puzzling issue to this day. The results of the recent studies of ocean floor and the results obtained by drilling deep oil boreholes have raised doubts about the existing explanations of the karst landforms development and encouraged the emergence of new views on this subject matter. According to the new hypothesis, the majority of karst landforms were formed at great depths beneath sea level where dissolution of carbonates increases dramatically. Underwater dissolution first caused the formation of karst depressions and the primary network of karst conduits elongated along the existing fractures. This process was followed by further expansion of the conduits and the formation of spacious caves due to the water regression and the action of turbulent flows. It is considered that the introduction of the new concept would accelerate the development of karstology and improve the principles and methods for solving numerous practical problems such as the abstraction of quality drinking water and the research of oil, gas and bauxite deposits.
- Original Version:
- Carbonates and Evaporites, Vol. 28, no. 4 (2013-02-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.