The Howiesonâ€™s Poort Industry of Sibudu Cave
- Permanent Link:
- The Howiesonâ€™s Poort Industry of Sibudu Cave
- Series Title:
- South African Archaeological Society
- Wadley, Lyn
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Howiesons Poort ( local )
Sibudu Cave ( local )
Quartz ( local )
Still Bay Industry ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The Howieson's Poort Industry that overlies a Still Bay Industry at Sibudu has ages between 61.7 ± 1.5 and 64.7 ± 1.9 ka. The distinctive Howieson's Poort lithic assemblages are blade-rich with backed tools, especially segments. This industry is not monolithic; it shows change through time, for example, in the rock types used and in the size of segments. Hornfels and dolerite are the main rock types used throughout, but there is an intriguing use of crystal quartz for short, deep segments in the basal layers. The quartz segments seem to have been used as transversely hafted arrowheads, based on morphometric studies. Worked bone points that may have been arrowheads are present. The Industry is accompanied by a meat-procuring strategy focusing on small animals, such as the blue duiker, which are best caught in traps or nets. The Howieson's Poort Industry coincides with a mosaic of habitats: most prominent is evergreen forest in the vicinity of the shelter. Mineralogical studies suggest that there was greater humidity during these occupations than in the more recent Middle Stone Age occupations.
- Original Version:
- South African Archaeological Society, Vol. 10 (2008-12-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.