Roost Fidelity of Townsend's Big-Eared Bat in Utah and Nevada
- Permanent Link:
- Roost Fidelity of Townsend's Big-Eared Bat in Utah and Nevada
- Series Title:
- Transactions of the Western Section of the Wildlife Society
- Sherwin, Richard E.
Gannon, William L.
Altenbach, J. S.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Bat ( local )
Big-Eared Bat ( local )
Townsend's Big-Eared Bat ( local )
Corynorhinus Townsendii ( local )
Great Basin ( local )
Bats In Utah ( local )
Bats In Nevada ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The biological importance and degree of expression of roost fidelity in Townsend's big-eared bat (Corynorhinus townsendii) remains largely unknown. While reports of movement among and between roosts have been noted, it is unclear whether these movements were a result of human disturbance or part of some unknown, but normal, pattern of bat behavior. Current management and conservation strategies assume that C. townsendii exhibits strong roost fidelity across space and through time. We investigated the validity of this assumption at roosts throughout the Great Basin. Movement among roosts was common throughout the study area, with a high degree of intra/inter-seasonal variation observed. However, at larger temporal scales (i.e., across years), patterns of use became apparent. Differences in liability were noted between roost types, with use of caves more static (through space and time) than use of mines. The implications of these findings on management and conservation efforts are discussed.
- Original Version:
- Transactions of the Western Section of the Wildlife Society, Vol. 36 (2000-01-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.