Understanding and preserving caves and karst landscapes
- Permanent Link:
- Understanding and preserving caves and karst landscapes
- Series Title:
- Earth Sciences History
- Pate, Dale L.
Kerbo, Ronal C.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Caves, Karst, Parks, Management, Preservation ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Beginning in 1903 with the creation of Wind Cave National Park, ten National Park Service units have been created because of the caves they contained. Since the establishment of the National Park Service in 1916, over 5,360 caves are known to exist within at least 99 park units. These caves are found in different types of rocks and were formed by several different mechanisms. The most prolific landscapes that have formed caves are those in soluble rocks such as limestone. Known as karst landscapes, at least 114 park units contain some amount of karst. In the early days, cave parks were developed for their commercial and recreational values. Little was known of the processes that created caves or the many resources that encompassed these entire landscapes. With the help of cave and karst enthusiasts and researchers, and the advent of cave and karst resource managers, the National Park Service has made great strides in understanding these resources. This has led to increased educational opportunities and better management decisions that will enhance long-term preservation of these resources.
- Original Version:
- Earth Sciences History, Vol. 36, no. 2 (2017-01-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.