Determining the Environmental Sore Load of Pseudogymnoascus Destructans
- Permanent Link:
- Determining the Environmental Sore Load of Pseudogymnoascus Destructans
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- White Nose Syndrome ( local )
Pseudogymnoascus ( local )
Destructans ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- White Nose Syndrome (WNS) is a fungal disease that is causes high mortality in cave and mine hibernating bats. The disease is caused by a fungal pathogen Pseudogymnoascus destructans (Pd), which has spread throughout North America since its discovery in 2006. While Pd has been detected in the absence of bats, there are little data examining the role of humansâ€™ act as a vector for the disease. To assess their role, I collected cave sediment, shoe and cloth samples and performed DNA analysis to establish the amount of detectable Pd in the samples examined by microscopy. While microscopy detected Pd in two samples, qPCR detected Pd in all WNS positive sites. In all cases, the samples contained Pd loads below the current WNS decontamination guidelines. My data suggests that qPCR is semi-quantitative for identifying Pd in the environment. It is unable to distinguish between non-infectious vegetative cells and infectious spores and therefore an as effective an approach as microscopy to determine the potential for WNS infection. Levels of Pd found on clothing and shoe samples, and the inability of Pd to survive outside of the cave environment suggest that humans are unlikely to be effective vectors for Pd transport.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.