Rock Art Studies: News of the World
- Permanent Link:
- Rock Art Studies: News of the World
- SEPULVEDA, Marcela
Cabello B., Gloria
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Chile ( local )
Rockart ( local )
Engravings ( local )
Paintings ( local )
Geoglyphs ( local )
Archaeological Study Of Rock Art ( local )
Colonial Rock Art ( local )
Technological Approach To Rock Art ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- This article reviews the principal studies in rock art research in Chile, including engravings, paintings and geoglyphs, carried out in the course of the last five years (2010-2014). Our review expands the account presented before for different regions of the country, between 2005 and 2009 (Sepúlveda and Valenzuela 2012) and for studies carried out up to 2005 (Gallardo et al. 2006). Once again, we refer to the principal geographical regions of the country presented from north to south: Northern Chile, and North Central and Central Chile (Figure 1). The main advances are once again in the northern region: on the coast, and in the low and medium Western Valleys, from the Lluta to the Camarones rivers (engravings), in the Andean foothills of Arica (paintings), in the Tarapacá and Antofagasta regions inland, and also in the middle valley of north central Chile (engravings). Southernmost Chile was the subject of only one piece of work related to technological approaches to rock paintings (Sepúlveda 2011d). We intend to provide a synthesis of the main subjects / themes, problems and theoretical and methodological models used in the archaeological study of rock art in Chile during the last few years. After a regional presentation, we also summarise two new thematic studies: on Colonial rock art and on a technological approach to rock art painting by physico-chemical characterizations of pigments.
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.