Southern African Humanities - An analysis of lithic artefacts from the ~60 ka layers of Sibudu Cave
- Permanent Link:
- Southern African Humanities - An analysis of lithic artefacts from the ~60 ka layers of Sibudu Cave
- Series Title:
- Southern African Humanities
- Cochrane, Grant W. G.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- MSA Lithic Artefacts ( local )
Sibudu ( local )
~60 Ka ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Since 1998 detailed excavations have been conducted at Sibudu Cave over an area of 21 m2. A trial trench of 2 m2 has been excavated to a depth of nearly 3 m. Luminescence dating of the sediments from Sibudu Cave indicates that it was occupied for several relatively brief periods during the Middle Stone Age. One of these occupations occurred about 60 000 years ago. The lithic artefacts from this occupation appear to be the product of a variety of flaking strategies, including tool-maintenance. Retouched artefacts mainly fall within the categories of points and scrapers and display little standardization of form. Artefacts from layers immediately below this assemblage have been assigned to the Howiesons Poort Industry. A short-lived change in raw material preference appears to coincide roughly with the transition from Howiesons Poort to post-Howiesons Poort technology.
- Original Version:
- Southern African Humanities, Vol. 18, no. 1 (2006-11-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.