Report on the micromammal assemblage analysis from Sibudu Cave
- Permanent Link:
- Report on the micromammal assemblage analysis from Sibudu Cave
- Series Title:
- Southern African Humanities
- Glenny, Wayne
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Micromammal Assemblage ( local )
Sibudu Cave ( local )
Sibudu ( local )
Middle Stone Age ( local )
Msa ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- This is the first micromammal analysis conducted on Middle Stone Age remains from Sibudu Cave, KwaZulu-Natal. The method is discussed, and the usefulness of taphonomic analyses on micromammal assemblages for the reconstruction of past environments is highlighted. Results from the taphonomic study show little digestive etching, suggesting that raptors such as Tyto alba, Tyto capensis and Asio capensis were most likely responsible for the accumulation of the micromammal assemblage. Environmental information derived from the micromammal analysis is in accordance with other proxy data from the site. Indications are that the immediate environment around Sibudu Cave was similar at 50 ka ago and at 37 ka ago; it seems to have comprised a complex mosaic environment with open savanna grassland and a woodland element. Cooler, possibly drier, conditions than those of today may have prevailed.
- Original Version:
- Southern African Humanities, Vol. 18, no. 1 (2006-11-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.