QUARTZ BIFACIAL POINTS IN THE HOWIESONS POORT OF SIBUDU
- Permanent Link:
- QUARTZ BIFACIAL POINTS IN THE HOWIESONS POORT OF SIBUDU
- Series Title:
- The South African Archaeological Bulletin
- de la Pena, Paloma
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Quartz ( local )
Stone Tools ( local )
Mesolithic Period ( local )
Archaeological Science ( local )
History Of Technology ( local )
Weapons ( local )
Waste Byproducts ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- The Howiesons Poort Industry is known for its precocious production of backed stone tools, engraved ostrich eggshell containers and diverse bone tools. We discovered another novelty at Sibudu: small quartz bifacial points that were made on site. In this paper we present a detailed technological study (supported by an experimental programme) and use-wear and residue analyses. Technological analysis has demonstrated a short reduction sequence, in four hypothetical stages, from flakes mainly obtained by a discoidal knapping method. This reconstruction was based on a chaîne opératoire approach of completed points, incomplete points or broken ones that were discarded at various stages of the knapping process, together with manufacturing by-products and two refittings. The experimental programme allowed us to recognise the knapping techniques involved in the manufacture of these points. Functional analyses suggest that these were hafted hunting weapons of a type not previously recognised. They add to the Industry's known repertoire of hunting weaponry and meat-getting strategies, which seemingly included spears, arrows, and possibly snares. Either a short-lived, regional tradition occurred at Sibudu or small quartz bifacial points remain undiscovered elsewhere.
- Original Version:
- The South African Archaeological Bulletin, Vol. 68, no. 198 (2013-12-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.