3-D hydrogeological model of limestone aquifer for managed aquifer recharge in Raipur of central India
- Permanent Link:
- 3-D hydrogeological model of limestone aquifer for managed aquifer recharge in Raipur of central India
- Series Title:
- Carbonates and Evaporites
- Ahmad Dar, Farooq
Rama Devi, Akoju
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Hydrogeological Model ( local )
Managed Aquifer Recharge ( local )
Chandi Limestone ( local )
India ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Raipur of Chhattisgarh state, central India, is facing water problems due to rapid urbanization and altered hydrological processes despite adequate rainfall. Deteriorated surface water, diminished recharge and elevated pumping have reduced water availability in the region. Therefore, proper measures like managed aquifer recharge (MAR) need to be successfully implemented to conserve rain water for long-term sustainability. Hydrogeological data, combined with geophysical investigations lead to the construction of a conceptual model of the Chandi limestone aquifer for this purpose. The results indicate that the compact and massive limestone has negligible primary porosity, but solution weathering (karstification) has developed secondary pores at variable depths that favour recharge, groundwater storage and movement. The study helped to locate potential recharge sites that have significance in optimizing MAR structures such as check dams and injection wells. The hydrogeological model has a great significance in managing these complex and heterogeneous aquifers for better future water supply in the region.
- Original Version:
- Carbonates and Evaporites, Vol. 32 (2016-04-16).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.