Cave sedimentation, genesis, and erosional history in the Cheat River Canyon, West Virginia
- Permanent Link:
- Cave sedimentation, genesis, and erosional history in the Cheat River Canyon, West Virginia
- Series Title:
- GSA Bulletin
- Springer, Gregory S.
Kite, Steven J.
Schmidt, Victor A.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Sedimentation ( local )
West Virginia ( local )
United States ( local )
Monongalia County, West Virginia ( local )
Preston County, West Virginia ( local )
Sediments ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- A model of cave sedimentation and genesis is used to gain greater resolution and accuracy in the calculation of an incision rate for Cheat River, West Virginia. Maze caves along the river and their primary sediments were created and deposited beneath base level. Single conduit caves are largely unrelated to base level and their sediments are derived from overlying strata. A magnetostratigraphic record is reported for cave sediments within the canyon. The magnetostratigraphy of each sample is plotted versus elevation relative to base level and depositional environment (vadose or phreatic). The resulting chart accurately depicts the range of error associated with using cave sediments as indicators of previous base-level positions. This technique can be applied within any future studies using cave sediments for deriving incision rates of rivers. The calculated incision rate of Cheat River within the study area is between 56.0 and 63.2 mm/k.y.
- Original Version:
- GSA Bulletin, Vol. 109, no. 5 (1997-05-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.