Analysis of Scallop Patterns by Simulation Under Controlled Conditions
- Permanent Link:
- Analysis of Scallop Patterns by Simulation Under Controlled Conditions
- Series Title:
- The Journal of Geology
- Goodchild, M. F.
Ford, D. C.
- Publication Date:
- Subjects / Keywords:
- Scallop Patterns ( local )
Controlled Conditions ( local )
Lomestone ( local )
Velocity ( local )
Viscocity ( local )
- serial ( sobekcm )
- Working with plaster of paris in an experimental flume, the authors have simulated the formation of scallop patterns, an intriguing feature of eroded limestone, under controlled conditions of velocity and viscosity. Analysis of the resulting scallop lengths as a frequency distribution has shown that certain of the statistical parameters are well correlated with the hydrodynamic conditions. Length is inversely related to velocity and directly to viscosity. These results are similar to those found by Curl (1966) in a theoretical dimensional analysis of the simpler flute problem. Work in limestone caverns has confirmed that these results apply to scallops generated on limestone. Certain lithologic effects have been noted, however, and these are believed to be correlated with the physical structure of the material.
- Original Version:
- The Journal of Geology, Vol. 79, no. 1 (1971-01-01).
- Source Institution:
- University of South Florida Library
- Holding Location:
- University of South Florida
- Rights Management:
- This object is protected by copyright, and is made available here for research and educational purposes. Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce the object beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder.
No images or PDF downloads are available for this resource.
Cras ut cursus ante, a fringilla nunc. Mauris lorem nunc, cursus sit amet enim ac, vehicula vestibulum mi. Mauris viverra nisl vel enim faucibus porta. Praesent sit amet ornare diam, non finibus nulla.
Cras efficitur magna et sapien varius, luctus ullamcorper dolor convallis. Orci varius natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Fusce sit amet justo ut erat laoreet congue sed a ante.
Phasellus ornare in augue eu imperdiet. Donec malesuada sapien ante, at vehicula orci tempor molestie. Proin vitae urna elit. Pellentesque vitae nisi et diam euismod malesuada aliquet non erat.
Nunc fringilla dolor ut dictum placerat. Proin ac neque rutrum, consectetur ligula id, laoreet ligula. Nulla lorem massa, consectetur vitae consequat in, lobortis at dolor. Nunc sed leo odio.